Marshalling; Rally of the Tests

Hi All, Just in case you are interested.....................

Like many of you I'm sure I 'had a go' at rallying when I was younger, and certainly before the car that I competed in was called a Classic.

30 years ago I was a member of a local motorsports club and did a number of 'single venue' stage rallies and participated in the organisation of events eventually reaching the heady heights of 'clerk of the Course' on one event. However a love affair with a rotten TR5 and becoming sick of repairing a battered rally car led me to move onto other things.

Having said that I have always had a hankering to get involved in motorsport again and over the last few years supported my friend as part of his Classic Le Mans MGB entry (Dont all boo and hiss) even though we did beat the TRs again this year (I was the MG 'mechanic' wearing the 'TR' Tshirt for those who dropped by.

Anyhow, my means are modest and skills limited but I want to do some motorsport in a TR and have recently bought a down at heel TR4 shell off Ebay in order to further this madness. I don't even really want to drive or navigate, I'm just bored with looking at lines of cars parked up in a field. So if I squint my battered and rotten green TR4 shell seems to take on a pale blue tint, with Mag minilites......Mmmmmmmmmmmm :P

So in the interests of getting involved I marshalled on the Historic Rally Car Register (HRCR) 'Tour of Cheshire' earlier this year, and have been invited back to marshall on the 'rally of the Tests' - the fore runner of the RAC which is taking place on the 21 -23 November. A few local register members have expressed an interest and I have arranged for us to marshall and possibly man a couple of time controls in the MOD premises at Swynnerton nr Stone, in central staffordshire on Saturday 22nd November from 6.00pm until 10.30 pm. The first car will arrive at around 8.15pm.

In short - If you fancy joining us and: getting involved, talking to TR people about 'having a go', or just having a look, why not come along. We are 'helping' as members of the TR register to fly the TR flag, and who knows, when its over you might go straight home, blow the dust off the welder and finish that project thats sitting in the garden.

If you are interested let me know and I'll include you on the list, as its a non spectator stage and the MOD require to know who is on their premises.

Regards to All

Chris

Chris

Thanks in advance for Marshalling .... without you there would be no fun, so see you in Swinnerton ...... make sure we know its you when we arrive at your control. We'll be the blue car travelling sedately that arrives 'in its minute' And make sure you join us in the bar afterwards for a thank you drink.

Regards Tony

Also without the middle spotlamp on the bonnet ......

JK is running 3VC this year (we hope ..... I thought id better give someone else a turn) and the centre spot is off as per instructions from the organisers.

Be good ...... !

Hi Tony and Jonathan,

Thanks for the kind words re the marshalling. We are all quite looking forward to the event, although having done a bit in the past, I hope it is decent weather as the fun goes out of it very quickly in horizontal sleet and rain.

But what the hell; we've got the brewing gear sorted, we are stocked up with TR rebuild stories and it sure as hell beats looking at a static exhibit in a field or museum.

And; TRTOM, thanks very much for the offer: gladly accepted. Can you perhaps send me a mail with your name and some contact details so I can keep in touch.

Will see you all there and if anyone else is interested, just drop me a line.

Regards,

Chris

Whatever the instructions J, I suspect we'll pour over them in the bar, leave them there afterwards, forget every word youve written and get on with it the next day as per usual ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

OK the event is upon us. and we'll do our duty rain or shine. Lets be honest it'll probably chuck it down!

For those who said they were helping out we'll need to be at Swynnerton as soon after 5.00pm on saturday as possible. Certainly no later than 5.45pm.

Bring warm waterproof clothes, a torch, pens pencils and a clipboard if you have one.

and of course any food and drink you'll need.

In return for your efforts you'll get the smell of burning mud and hot brakes, and of course the rain.

Think we've all seen the thanks from some of the competitors listed above which is very well received.

In return we wish you every success and will cheer you on when you reach our controls.

See you all there and any queries please PM me.

Enjoy,

regards, Chris

Edited by Chris Mountford

Does that mean we're doing it in the dark ? ..... ;-) I can see Rob Kiff's grin as I type this ........

Thanks again all you Marshalls ..... make sure we know who you are too. And see you in the bar afterwards .....

Well, I'm just about to head out to the garage to fit the rally plates and door numbers - not long to go now! We really do appreciate all that the marshals do for us - the Tests needs literally hundreds - and having some like-minded TR fans out there on Swynnerton will be great. We won't be hanging about at any of the controls, so please let us know who you are and we'll try not to shower you in mud as we leave!!

And as Tony said, we'll gladly buy you a warming dram if you are able to catch up with us in the bar afterwards!

Come on, Triumphs!

Jonathan

Hi Guys,

I'm sure a few of us will join you for a bevvy if we can get out of the M o D camp within a reasonable time. On the Tour of Cheshire it must have been an hour after the last car before we got out.

We've been told to expect to be out by 10.30 pm so reckon you will have a head start on us. I think this is the final stage / stages of your day so you should be able to head straight for the hotel. have you any idea where you are overnighting ? If its where I think you are going you wont be walking to any pubs.

Anyhow, think there are about 60 marshalls at Swynnerton on Saturday night, of which 20 are linked our local Register group (Stoke) so its good to know that we can turn out a strong showing especially on a November Saturday night !

Let us know where you are going to be, and most of all GOOD LUCK!

Regards

'The Marshalls' :lol:

Youve got youre rally plates on already! ...... man you must be utterly on it. Im still fiddling with how much sand to carry in the boot ....... ;-) and making sure tha Halda works ....

I think we're all in the HQ hotel based on the info we've had, so we'll only be a snifta ahead of you all in any case.

Woolly hats with 'TR' written on please ! come on the Triumphs .... team entries on this one too, so wish us luck with that.

Tony