Hi all,

It took me a few weeks to be able to write an other update again: first, I was busy at work; second, there came a guy into the workshop 12 days ago with a very bend Jag MkII. A Ford Mondeo ran into him, bending the front end of the Jag. The owner was going to take part in a Pan European classic car rally, and a bend Jag was not on his 'to do' list. So, Alan and Henk helped him out, repairing the Jag. They even used parts of their own MkII, so that the owner could attend the rally. That stopped the work on my car for about a week.

So, it's back to work now. I took a week off and I will be in the workshop this whole week.

It's all details now: rubbers on the doors, boot lid and spare wheel cover; installing the boot lid, the s/w cover and the doors. That's easier written than done, I can assure you. One has to take great care preventing damaging the paint. Thus far, all's good.

With the doors, I'v made a mistake: the car was never restored in the past and all panels fitted correctly. What I didn't notice was the uneven door gap on the B-post: the gap between the door and the body is even along the whole way, except for the upper 2, 3 inches: it's more narrow there! I know it sounds fussy, but when you're with your nose 5 inches away from the door and the panel...

An other mistake: las year, I forgot to have the seat send off to be galvenized. When I took them off the shelf last week, they were in a bad state, so I had them send off. Now I'm waiting...

One last question: I'm looking for a detailed picture of the dog leg-shaped capping that sits from the B-post up. I can not see how it should be mounted. On top of the B-post sits an upside down U-shaped form. Should the capping be on top of the U-shape, or just behind?

Pictures of the resto later this evening.

Menno

Hi all,

It took me a few weeks to be able to write an other update again: first, I was busy at work; second, there came a guy into the workshop 12 days ago with a very bend Jag MkII. A Ford Mondeo ran into him, bending the front end of the Jag. The owner was going to take part in a Pan European classic car rally, and a bend Jag was not on his 'to do' list. So, Alan and Henk helped him out, repairing the Jag. They even used parts of their own MkII, so that the owner could attend the rally. That stopped the work on my car for about a week.

So, it's back to work now. I took a week off and I will be in the workshop this whole week.

It's all details now: rubbers on the doors, boot lid and spare wheel cover; installing the boot lid, the s/w cover and the doors. That's easier written than done, I can assure you. One has to take great care preventing damaging the paint. Thus far, all's good.

With the doors, I'v made a mistake: the car was never restored in the past and all panels fitted correctly. What I didn't notice was the uneven door gap on the B-post: the gap between the door and the body is even along the whole way, except for the upper 2, 3 inches: it's more narrow there! I know it sounds fussy, but when you're with your nose 5 inches away from the door and the panel...

An other mistake: las year, I forgot to have the seat send off to be galvenized. When I took them off the shelf last week, they were in a bad state, so I had them send off. Now I'm waiting...

One last question: I'm looking for a detailed picture of the dog leg-shaped capping that sits from the B-post up. I can not see how it should be mounted. On top of the B-post sits an upside down U-shaped form. Should the capping be on top of the U-shape, or just behind?

Pictures of the resto later this evening.

Menno

Menno the elbow capping should in theory sit just on top of the "U" and flush with the forward edge. However it also has to meet correctly with the next capping along on the top of the quarter panel and sometimes to get the the two to sit right then the elbow ends up just behind the "U". When I lead the quarter to "B" post lines I often put a bit more lead onto that "U" piece to thicken it up so there is somewhere for the capping to sit.

Picture is the only one I can find at the moment.

Stuart.

Stuart,

You're great. Just what I need. Raymond v. D. sent me two pics also, together these pictures cover the inside and outside of the cappings. When I dismantled the car, all was fitting perfectly, although I can not remember the correct relative position of the capping vs. the U shape. That's why the pics are perfect.

About pics: I've added a few: one is taken on a misty Saturday morning with a beautiful Morgan. I love those cars, but I cannot find a good driving position behind the wheel!

The two other pictures are taken by my wife this afternoon. She payed a visit to the workshop. It's her first visit in 18 months. She hadn't seen the car since it was 'flatbedded' out of my street. That's why I'm -for once- on one of the pictures.