Underbonnet heat

Also check the temperature value of the replacement stat. There is a lot of different temperature ones available that all fit and look the same. Years ago it was the norm to change winter stat for summer one.

Stuart.

Hi John,

It's just possible then that you might have a sticking thermostat - as in the water thermostat, not the one on the fan ?

If the beggar isn't closing fully, engine temperature will remain low and the fan will operate only after a period stuck in traffic. A problem I suffered last year on one of our Rovers, made even more mysterious when a replacement 'stat didn't solve the problem - the new 'stat had the same problem as the old ! A second replacement 'stat cured the problem.

Cheers,

Alec

The thermostat ! Duh ! Didn't think of that one even though it was always my standby solution in days gone by to an overheating engine.

I know it opens and closes but sticking may well be a possibility. Have had the car for 5 years but never needed to open the thermostat housing.

A job for the winter lay up (when I get round to it)

Thanks Alec

Will keep Stuarts remedy in mind too (forgot about that one too!)

Must be an age thing!

Cheers

John

Thanks for all your replies gents!

Exhaust is now securely fixed on and I've taken it for a few spins. The sound is glorious, very different to how it was before with the twin pipes. It sounds like a baby TVR, very ragged when you're pushing hard. Loving it! Haven't had a chance to worry about the difference in torque/top end power as I was stuck in London traffic for most of the drive.

However there is a pretty bad misfire under load, will post under a new topic...