water pump pulley spacer?

Hi Guys

Just noticed that the water pump pulley (narrow belt conversion type) is sitting approx 1/4" out of line with the crank and alternator pulleys.

Is there a spacer or something that's supposed to fit onto the water pump spindle before the conversion pulley is attached?

the pulley is a 1/4" closer to the water pump/block (it needs to move out 1/4" to line up. The crank and alternator are lined up perfectly.

Didn't do the conversion and haven't seen what you get with the kit.

If its something that's readily available I'll order one before I remove the pulley.

Many thanks

Darren

Hi Guys

Just noticed that the water pump pulley (narrow belt conversion type) is sitting approx 1/4" out of line with the crank and alternator pulleys.

Is there a spacer or something that's supposed to fit onto the water pump spindle before the conversion pulley is attached?

the pulley is a 1/4" closer to the water pump/block (it needs to move out 1/4" to line up. The crank and alternator are lined up perfectly.

Didn't do the conversion and haven't seen what you get with the kit.

If its something that's readily available I'll order one before I remove the pulley.

Many thanks

Darren

When I converted to narrow belt my alternator was out of line as well as the water pump. (In different directions).

Fixing the alternator was easy enough. That was down to the bracket being made of thicker metal and its fixing holes being drilled with respect to the inside face instead of front. I puzzled about the water pump for a while: packing pieces , thicker gaskets etc and then decided that even if all that worked it would be pretty shoddy. Then thought about the crankshaft pulley and then after measuring everything so far as you can I concluded if everything else was right then the pump must be wrong - it was an after market one- and bought a new not the cheapest one. This immediately solved the problem.

Mine lined up straight away, I had the damper type bottom pulley in my kit from Cambridge Motorsport- it looked like the Moss kit.

Rod

Thanks Mike and Rod

You've got me thinking now that I do have a spare water pump... I'll take the pulley off and try it on the other pump.

The Alternator fitting kit looks as though its been made up with something suspiciously resembling a Rover V8 type adjuster etc, which isn't ideal for adjustment, but with a bit of modification I can improve it.

The alternator as well is a strange choice (in its dimensions) for the application (standard looking ACR lucas, 34amp) . I've read a lot about the heat shields etc to protect the rear of the alternator because it is really close to the extractor manifold.

Wouldn't it be far simpler to fit a same output, same fittings, more compact 'lucas' type alternator or similar.

I've measured the Alternator on the six cylinder 2000 I have (which I fitted after visiting a very helpful LSUK) And they offered me a few alternatives. The one I chose is about an inch shorter than the standard looking 34 amp ACR Lucas alternator, but is higher output at 43 amps . If I replace the TR4 one I'll definitely go down this route again, as the price is also very reasonable. And more importantly it'll move the alternator an inch further away from the exhaust manifold.

When I get some part numbers off the alternators I'll report back but I think the lucas number for the 43 amp compact type is LRA 103? or CA18H (manufactured China)

Many thanks once again

Darren