High Torque Starter

Hi

I briefly revived my old starter with some new brush springs however it died again so I bit the bullet and bought a high torque replacement from TR Shop. Nice bit of kit with a handy splined in bolt, however it doesn't seem to mesh with my flywheel. The ring gear is the bolted on type - I can see the bolt heads and tab washers.

Tested it on the bench and it is working ok - pinion comes forward and spins. Can't tell if the pinion is failing to reach the flywheel or is somehow getting beyond the flywheel. At least the latter could be fixed with a spacer, biut if it is the former...? Will speak to TR Shop obviously but has anyone else come across this issue before?

thanks

Andy

Hi

I briefly revived my old starter with some new brush springs however it died again so I bit the bullet and bought a high torque replacement from TR Shop. Nice bit of kit with a handy splined in bolt, however it doesn't seem to mesh with my flywheel. The ring gear is the bolted on type - I can see the bolt heads and tab washers.

Tested it on the bench and it is working ok - pinion comes forward and spins. Can't tell if the pinion is failing to reach the flywheel or is somehow getting beyond the flywheel. At least the latter could be fixed with a spacer, biut if it is the former...? Will speak to TR Shop obviously but has anyone else come across this issue before?

thanks

Andy

HI Andy

I,m sure other people have had similar trouble, don't know their remedies though.

My high torque was from moss and seems to engage fine.

I have a bolt on flywheel as well btw.

cheers, john

I think I will have to shim it with various thickness washers to see if I can get it to mesh, at least then I will know that it can be sorted with spacers

andy

hi Andy,

I would go back with it to were you bought it from, because it seems to me if it does not engage at all you'll need a hell of a thick shim!!

try and figure out if it goes in to far or not far enough. if it's not far enough shims won't help

if it goes to far you're looking at 1/2 inch of shims at least,surely that's not the way forward.

cheers, John

They should work straight out of the box. I would think you have the wrong one for your ring gear. Talk to your supplier as fitting with washers is not correct!

Stuart.

Ok, a little bit of progress, related to wiring.

At the moment I have got the thick cable running from solenoid on bulkhead to the red terminal on the starter, reason being that I want to retain the ability to turn over the engine manually using the solenoid.

There is a black terminal on the other side of the starter which seems to be the earth for the switch that moves the pinion up the shaft. If I earth this with a spare engine earth strap I get an almost mesh. I say almost because after a number of hours powering my inspection lamp that battery is nearly flat so it's difficult to tell whether the half ars*d attempt to turn the engine is meshing issues or lack of juice.

In short, have I failed to wire it correctly? Should it really need a separate earth cable for the black terminal? - I'd assumed it would earth in similar way to the old one.

thanks

Andy

Andy,

my starter only has 1 terminal for the pos. from the solenoid, I assume that the housing provides the negative. the pinion wire is tucked in with the pos cable.

I really can't image that you would need a seperate earth strap.

But I suppose, like mine, yours came without any sort of instructions!

Btw how would you operate the starter without a solenoid?

cheers, John

Edited by mandarawessels

The starter has its own solenoid which you can wire directly to avoiding the car's solenoid. On my starter there was a wire coming from the main terminal (the one from the car solenoid) to this secondary terminal meaning that you used the car's solenoid to power it.

Hi, just to be clear what I have on mine:

One large terminal coloured red on the body of the starter

One large terminal coloured black, with a small wire going to a small terminal on the rear

I've got large cable going to the red terminal from my bulkhead solenoid - the pinion will spin with this

The pinion will only move up the shaft if I put an earth strap on the large black terminal

Edit: I think I have worked this out - the large power feed should be going to the large black terminal on the solenoid body, the small wire is a jumper to bypass the starter solenoid. The large red terminal on the starter body should not have anything going to it.

andy

Edited by 67_gt6

Andy,

Not sure about these particular starters but conventianally the in-built solenoid does two things; it closes the starter motor circuit and throws the pinion gear down the shaft. The small terminal is usually the switched live from the starter switch which activates the solenoid.

If this is the case with your starter and you are still using the original TR solenoid, then I would think that you would have to run a tag wire from the starter switch terminal down to the small etrminal on the starter motor. Alternatively, I would imagine that you could by-pass the original solenoid and just use the one on the starter motor.

Dave

Well, all sorted without need for shims etc, basically I had wired it up wrongly so the pinion was spinning before it moved up the shaft.

It's basically a revelation although I slightly miss the esoteric pleasure of having a starting "routine". It also sounds rather like a motorcycle starting up which wouldn't be to everyone's taste I suppose.

andy