mohair from TRGB ?

I was wondering if I should ad a mohair hood...

Did anybody get his mohair hood from TRGB? good fitting, contented?

My mohair hood was from Don, they fitted it for the PO in 2003 and I think he hardly used it, it fits well I would say, except that it it is not possible to fold it without slightly creasing one of the rear quarter windows.

However..... I would not have mohair again.

It is a dirt magnet.

In sustained wet weather, after about 3 hours, it eventually becomes saturated and starts to leak. Specifically, the flap where the rear of the window closes onto the hood, the flap becomes saturated and the water drips off the bottom of the flap onto the floor. Over 200 wet miles this is a lot of water.

Perhaps it could be reproofed, but vinyl does not have to be reproofed.

I would have vinyl, I know it does not look so nice.. :(

Ivor

My mohair hood was from Don, they fitted it for the PO in 2003 ...........

Perhaps it could be reproofed, but vinyl does not have to be reproofed.

I would have vinyl, I know it does not look so nice..

Hi Ivor,

Welcome back from your Lakes break.

THe mohair hood on my SAAB is about the same age as yours and I recon that they need reproofing every 4 years. I used an Auto Glym kit that included cleaner/restorer and re proofing. Cost about £20 i think but the results were stunning. You could see the water being repelled and pooling on the surface and then running off.

Agree with the dirt magnet comment though.

Hi,

thanks for your input.

My wife's classic Saab cabrio has received a new hood 2 years ago. It's made out of "Sonnenland", which is a German3 layer stuff with rubber sandwiched in between, standard OE quality used for German and Swedish and probably other cars as well. The guy who installed it said that it wouldn't make sense to treat the Sonnenland stuff with water repellent treatment like Renovo, as it was inherently watertight through the rubber layer. After 10 yearsabout this rubber layer becomes rotten/brittle and it's no more watertight. A bit contradictory with the fact that Saab UK use(d) to recommend Renovo products....

Does Mohair also have a rubber layer?

I wouldn't have a problem with the dirt magnet effect, as the Saab is a daily driver and the top is easily cleaned, imho.

Before you ask, why I don't install a Sonnenland top then... It costs 650,-EUR uninstalled. Too much for driving 5000 miles a year in the sun...

Cheers, Patrick

Does Mohair also have a rubber layer?

No, and it wouldn't help in this particular case, as the outer layer would still become saturated and act as a wick. The hood didn't leak anywhere else only down the back of the door glass, one of which is a loose fit against the hood, but the other is a tight fit and eventually it still leaked.

I suspect repoofing will be the answer, thankyou Ragtaq. :rolleyes:

Ivor