Ive got an oil cooler to fit, but just pipes between it and spin on filter. Is this acceptable. Thanks David Johnson.Perhaps some time Ill be able to advise others, learning fast though thanks to help.

Ive got an oil cooler to fit, but just pipes between it and spin on filter. Is this acceptable. Thanks David Johnson.Perhaps some time Ill be able to advise others, learning fast though thanks to help.

Hi David,

I too have an oil cooler. It is widly thought that an oil cooler is not necessary on a road car.

The reason for this is that the oil will be permanently cooled as the car goes along and will not let the oil reach is ideal operational temp.

So you should fit a thermostatic valve, do not fit a Mocal OT/1 (as recommended by Rimmers) according to Mocal an OT/2 is the one you need.

I too had the rubber hoses and cut them to fit the stat, with push on fittings to hoses, which then screwed on to stat.

http://www.thinkauto.com/oilstats.htm

I would deal directly with mocal, site above, give them a buzz, really nice helpfull chaps and i recieved it next day.

Hope this helps

Guy

Hello David,

I agree with Guy, a road car does not need an oil cooler in this country. But if you have one do fit a thermostat or your oil will be too cool which does the oil and engine no good.

When I built my saloon P.I. with mild modifications, I fitted an oil cooler and oil temperature gauge which told me that I need not have bothered with the oil cooler. I did fit a thermostat however.

Alec

id agree with the others oil cooler not usually reqd.

i fitted a a temp gauge in the sump.and only ever got high

oil temp 130 c on long motorway run on a HOT summer day.

this was without a cooler

richard

Edited by rpurchon

TR Revington do have a different opinion with regard to the thermostat.

They say an engine never expired for having its oil too cold - a thermostat is something else to go wrong!

Should one ignore Neil's professional advice, whereas he could earn more money by selling one of those thermostats?

I drove a fast Amazone in the 80s, with oil cooler, without thermostat, but with semi synthetic oil - no probs

http://www.revingtontr.com/shop/product_di...oductID=RTR1100

Regards, Patrick

Edited by roulli