Ive been out today, the best day for ages. Noted again a tendancy to refuse to enter 2nd gear on the downchange first time, second time it slips in. On upchanges there is never a problem, and gear box generally very nice. Im going to put in a more powerful engine this winter, so if there is a problem it can be solved.Can anybody advise, Thanks David Johnson.

When the gearbox cover is lifted off, the clearance between the 2nd synchromesh ring and 2nd gear can be mesured with feeler gauges. I believe it should be more than 1 mm.

In a new box, the clearances of the 4 rings are about the same. Also general wear of the synchro hub can be at fault, or the box can contain parts of gearboxes with slightly

different specifications. Or the brass bush of the second gear can be on it's way home : later TR6's have steel bushes that can be retrofitted. But maybe the 2nd bush would cause other symptoms? If the difficulty with the second gear was there since the box was rebuild, most likely a bad quality aftermarket 2nd synchroring was used.

Ive been out today, the best day for ages. Noted again a tendancy to refuse to enter 2nd gear on the downchange first time, second time it slips in. On upchanges there is never a problem, and gear box generally very nice. Im going to put in a more powerful engine this winter, so if there is a problem it can be solved.Can anybody advise, Thanks David Johnson.

i had same problem with my rebuilt gbox.

hard to get into 2nd gear for the first few times when cold.

i put it down to oil too thick,as it was ok when warm.

i have refilled it with comma SX75W-90 High Performance Semi-Synthetic Gear Oil

you can tell its a lot thinner just by shaking the can ?

solved my problem and yes my overdriveworks spot on. [4000 miles]

might be worth a try for £10

richard

Edited by rpurchon

David,

I had a similar problem when i first bought the 5.

As has been mentioned the internals of brass are just

not strong enough and therefore the steel solution is the only

long term solution.

Certainly the gearbox over the past 18 months, since this modification,

has been fine,

hope you are well,

Laurence

When I rerebuilt my gearbox 2 yrs. ago, there were only 2 good syncro rings on the market, one was NOS, if you could find them. The other was made in Germany, and I THINK that is available thru Revington. Also, due to the difficulty in removing the gear box, I would put a new second gear in, as NOS ones are somewhat inexpensive overhere. You need to go thru the whole gearbox and clutch assembly, unless you enjoy the removal process.