Extractor Exhaust Manifolds

Received a note from Wriggly Monkey re extractor manifolds used on TR2s in the 50s. Afraid I don't know how to reply direct (I am a pensioner after all!) so thought I would post this. There are many references and pictures in Autosport in the 50s showing the car Derrington prepared and raced. If you like I'll give you a reference when I've got a bit more time. Derrigton also advertised his kit in both Autosport and Motor Sport. In case you are interested his shop in Kingston went under the new bus station which itself has now gone under something else. I still have the original manifold on my wall. It's got pin holes so Torque Techniques made an excellent replacement. They kept the jig. Might be a bit of delay in further posts but I will get back with more info if you wish.

• 2 weeks later...
Any references much appreciated. Also do you know if the Derrington car ever competed in the TT or RAC rally in 1994 or 1995?

Thanks

Wriggley monkey

There's a picture of Peter Gammon driving at Goodwood in Autosport, 29 August 1958. The car is identified in the text as Vic Derrington's TR2 although it actually belonged to a chap called Parkin. Vic prepared and raced it. John Bolster roadn tested it in Autosport 16 September 1955. His article included a photo of the extractor manifold which now hangs on my garage wall. I have got photocopies of other pictures from Vic's son showing the car at Goodwood very early on still with its number plate. The car didn't compete in 94 nor 95 as it was in pieces in my garage! In fact I don't think it had moved for years.

JJC.

Thanks for this. My original post contained a fatal flaw - When I typed 1994 or 1995 I meant 1954 or 1955 - sorry.

The reference you give however may well be useful - I have the 1955 article and will follow up on the other one you mention.

What I am trying to do is establish a connection to the Derrington car, and hence the use of the exhaust manifold, in an international FIA event in period - preferably pre 1955 but definately in the 50's. I will now follow up and see if any of the Goodwood events were on the fia international calendar.

Thanks again for your help.

Wriggley Monkey

JJC.

Thanks for this. My original post contained a fatal flaw - When I typed 1994 or 1995 I meant 1954 or 1955 - sorry.

The reference you give however may well be useful - I have the 1955 article and will follow up on the other one you mention.

What I am trying to do is establish a connection to the Derrington car, and hence the use of the exhaust manifold, in an international FIA event in period - preferably pre 1955 but definately in the 50's. I will now follow up and see if any of the Goodwood events were on the fia international calendar.

Thanks again for your help.

Wriggley Monkey

Just a thought - when I was rebuilding the car I decided to modify the suspension using Revington's kit of parts (although I still have all the original to put it back if neccy). I took some photos over with me to show Neil something or other and he immediately spotted the extractor manifold on my work bench in one of the pictures. It might be worth a call to Neil to see if he has the specific references you need.

Best regards

JJC

PS comparing the Derrington car in it's current state, apart from brakes, it went round Mallory Park every bit as well as brother in law's Caterham did round a very similar circuit. Well I thought it did. Just a bit more shaking and rattling that's all.