Water circulation

On completion of my restoration of my TR5 I removed the heater hose from the connection on the bulkhead to bleed the heater matrix so I can have the heater blowing hot air. Alas no water was passing through. I thought possibly I may have an airlock, and after checking the water level in the radiator, fitting a lower pressure radiator cap still no circulation.

I have fitted a new radiator/waterpump/thermostat/all new hoses. had the heater matrix reversed flushed etc but still no good.

I removed the thermostat housing and I noticed that the water level in the housing was very low, and whilst I was unscrewing the 2 bolts securing the housing I heard a ( swoosh ) and a small amount of water spurted out from the disconnected heater hose so pointing to an airlock.

When I run the engine on tickover and undo the radiator cap the water spurts out from the radiator neck, so it appears the water pump is doing its job, or is it excessive pressure?.

On getting the engine up to running temperature, and after a 20 mile run the car shows no sign of over heating.

Are these new repro pumps up to the job?.

If anyone can help I would be very grateful, and a few beers are on offer.

Regards

Peter

On completion of my restoration of my TR5 I removed the heater hose from the connection on the bulkhead to bleed the heater matrix so I can have the heater blowing hot air. Alas no water was passing through. I thought possibly I may have an airlock, and after checking the water level in the radiator, fitting a lower pressure radiator cap still no circulation.

I have fitted a new radiator/waterpump/thermostat/all new hoses. had the heater matrix reversed flushed etc but still no good.

I removed the thermostat housing and I noticed that the water level in the housing was very low, and whilst I was unscrewing the 2 bolts securing the housing I heard a ( swoosh ) and a small amount of water spurted out from the disconnected heater hose so pointing to an airlock.

When I run the engine on tickover and undo the radiator cap the water spurts out from the radiator neck, so it appears the water pump is doing its job, or is it excessive pressure?.

On getting the engine up to running temperature, and after a 20 mile run the car shows no sign of over heating.

I just installed the bulkhead fitting, which the PO hadn't bothered to reinstate. The heater hoses under the dash were fiendishly difficult to install. Are you sure they're not kinked?

When you remove the heater hose from the control valve in the head - you're sure the valve is opening? - and blow through it do you hear hubblebubbling in the head ?

If you blow through the heater hose with the thermostat off, does water come out of the stat flange ?

You know the lower heater hose goes to the top of the heater...... :unsure:

With the rad cap off from cold, there should be no spurting. When the water heats up it starts to overflow due to expansion, but in an orderly fashion. The heater should self-bleed, even though it is above the rad neck and there is no bleed screw so I'm not sure how it accomplishes that. :blink:

Back to the valve, as you seem to have done everything else - have you taken it off and checked it, or is it new? If it's new, does it work? Does the control cable actually open it, or might it be slipping in the valve clip?

I suppose, and you may feel like punching me on the nose here, your new stat is actually working? .... done the hanging in a pan of hot water test.... and you haven't got it upside down.... :(

Clutching at straws now.... Edit - silly idea, if it will run 20 miles the stat is very unlikely to be wrong... <_<

One hears of Haj pilgrims lighting kerosene stoves in the aisles of aircraft - an option.... :P

Ivor

Edited by 88V8

Hello Ivor,

You were right, the new heater valve was faulty. Fortunately I had a spare, after fitting the heater matrix bled with no problem.

Very many thanks for your input it is appreciated, and I owe you some beers.

Cheers

Peter