Which is correct Carb

Hi All,

New head gasket now fitted and all seems well. Still got to re-torque do tappets & timing but looking at carbs I am not sure if the correct ones are fitted.

How do you know if it should have SU or Stromberg?

Engine no CT26863E & VIN 26472CT

anyone know the answer?

Ian

Bill Piggott's Original Triumph TR4/4A/5/6 quotes "from engine number CT21471E all TR4s had the new carburettors and manifolds as standard "

"New" equals Strombergs.

If you have nothing by way of carburettors at present ,then the manifold will take either SUs or Strombergs.

There are supporters firmly in both camps so a search on the forum archives will throw up all the arguments for and against.

Bob

Thanks, I have 175 Strombergs fitted albeit light on oil so it looks as though they are correct.

Need to buy some sae20 for the dashpots.

Its just there were two old SUs in the box of assorted bits that came with the car and I wanted to know which are correct

Ian

The only ugrade I made to my Strombergs, when I overhauled them was to put in Grose jets ( £6.90 each Moss GAC9200X ).Change the O rings for unleaded petrol compatible ones ( the old ones are probably well beyond their sell by date ), if you haven't already done so.A spare diaphagm, to carry around in your car, will ensure you get home if one splits in use.

Bob