hi all is there any differance in the steel dash on a tr4 and a tr4a ive a lhd tr4 which im collecting parts to turn it into a rhd. the car came with a spare steel dash but to day when i tryed the cubby lid on it there seems to be a bracket spot welded to the rh side and on inspection on my tr5 it looks the same as that this looks to me this is for use when the dash has a wooden fascia and the steel cubby lid isnt used .this make me think i have a tr4a dash and not a tr4 .can anyone help and tell me the differance

Hi Gaz,

Main difference between '4 and '4A dash is where the switches (lights wiprs etc) fit. The '4s switch plinth stands out towards the driver, the 4A's fits almost flush with the dash. There are consequently differences to the bracketery which suports the switch plinth behind the trim.

There are two distinct types of TR4 dash which varied with the sort of instruments originally fitted. The earlier dash has two brackets fitted to hold the illumination lamps for the minor instruments. This dash was applicable to the domed glass instruments, which were 'back lit'. The later '4 dash had these brackets deleted and each instrument got its own individual light at the change point to 'flat glass' instruments.

Another pointer to an unmolested TR4 dash will be the abscence of small screw holes in the corners where a wood dash may have been fitted...

Hope this is of help...

Nick.