Crankcase ventilation

That's interesting. With my oil separator, and with the standard setup, there is positive pressure when one revs the engine, less positive pressure on idle, and negative pressure on the overrun. I know this because I wanted to check that the oil separator sucks, so I removed the oil filler cap and put some cling film over the hole.

I don't really see how there can be other than positive pressure with the engine under load, after all one is trying to compete with the blow-by from 6 cylinders at 220psi or thereabouts, there's no way that the piddling intake vacuum is going to compete with that. I always assumed that so long as one has a reasonable rate of crankcase evacuation, that should be OK ?

Ivor

My experience is with an MGA, a TR4 and a Jaguar MK2. It is on that Jaguar engine that I discovered the problem: when adjusting the carburators, I had the crankcase ventilation disconnected from the airfilter. After about 15minutes fiddeling with the carbs (mostly in idle) I found a puddle of oil under the front crancshaft seal. Of course I did not yet understand the reasons for it. When I then put the airfilter and the ventilation back, the leak did not any more occur. I then did Google quite a lot under the topics "oil leak on engines" and read several reports saying: if you have the slightest positive pressure in the crankcase, your engine will leak "everywhere" , not only at the ends of the crankshaft, but also on the valve cover etc.

My idea was then: if positive pressure makes leaks, then negative pressure must stop leaks.

I bought an electric 12V airpump for inflating swimming gear: this pump has not only a pressure side but also a succion side which I connected to the crankcase ventilation. The hole for the dipstick I pluged with a pressure measuring device. In spite of the leaks at the crankshaft ends I got a depression of about 200mm H2O colomn. And no oil leak at all.

Upon that I built something more professional using a mini-blower 12V with a promised livetime of 1000h. The depression was much less: about 40mm with engine off and 20mm with engine full load. (I had a small plastic tube with a syphon installed in the cockpit, filled with red ATF so I could see the depression by one column going up and the other down, the differnce being never less than 20mm.

The only problem I have with that device, which is installed now in the three cars is that the fan gets oily, because it aspirates a mixture of air and oil mist. I should improve the device in such a way that the oil can run down into the oil pan.

If you are interested, I can send you a picture.

Wilfried

My experience is with an MGA, a TR4 and a Jaguar MK2. It is on that Jaguar engine that I discovered the problem: when adjusting the carburators, I had the crankcase ventilation disconnected from the airfilter. After about 15minutes fiddeling with the carbs (mostly in idle) I found a puddle of oil under the front crancshaft seal. Of course I did not yet understand the reasons for it. When I then put the airfilter and the ventilation back, the leak did not any more occur. I then did Google quite a lot under the topics "oil leak on engines" and read several reports saying: if you have the slightest positive pressure in the crankcase, your engine will leak "everywhere" , not only at the ends of the crankshaft, but also on the valve cover etc.

My idea was then: if positive pressure makes leaks, then negative pressure must stop leaks.

I bought an electric 12V airpump for inflating swimming gear: this pump has not only a pressure side but also a succion side which I connected to the crankcase ventilation. The hole for the dipstick I pluged with a pressure measuring device. In spite of the leaks at the crankshaft ends I got a depression of about 200mm H2O colomn. And no oil leak at all.

Upon that I built something more professional using a mini-blower 12V with a promised livetime of 1000h. The depression was much less: about 40mm with engine off and 20mm with engine full load. (I had a small plastic tube with a syphon installed in the cockpit, filled with red ATF so I could see the depression by one column going up and the other down, the differnce being never less than 20mm.

The only problem I have with that device, which is installed now in the three cars is that the fan gets oily, because it aspirates a mixture of air and oil mist. I should improve the device in such a way that the oil can run down into the oil pan.

If you are interested, I can send you a picture.

Wilfried

Sounds like a plan for these leaky gearboxes :D

Wilfried, when you get a chance a picture would be good. It would be interesting to see how you hooked this up.

Stan

Here are some pictures from MGA and TR4

Wilfried

post-3788-1225797710_thumb.jpg

post-3788-1225797764_thumb.jpg

post-3788-1225797797_thumb.jpg

post-3788-1225797710_thumb.jpg

post-3788-1225797764_thumb.jpg

post-3788-1225797797_thumb.jpg