Guest andywduck

I am about to fit a tripmeter to my TR4, and have to decide what sort. any recommendations? Can't afford a Halda,and have been recommended Retrotrip or Brantz 2. We belong to HRCR, but also plan to compete in other rallies as well. Any views? The car is at TR Enterrprises right now being "fettled", and I need to get this sorted asap!!

Thanks, chaps

Andy Duck

Guest mrodbert

Andy,

My view:

Retrotrip 2 (c. £200) gives you 2 forward-only trips. Its eltromechanical, which means that it runs eletrically and can be calibrated easily, but has a mechanical (period) display. Eligible without penalty for HRCR, HERO, CRA (except Rally of Tests). Only downside is it doesnt go backwards, or in neutral, so if you get lost you need to do a mental calculation. My view - if you're lost on a regularity thats the least of your probs - unless your an expert. I have one of these and its great.

Belmogtwin totally mechanical (c. £500), eligible for everything; goes backwards/ neutral as well. Is that worth £300? your call.

Halda - totally mechanical; totally period; total pain in the bum to calibrate and "cog" correctly. Halda Speedpilots are quite nice and were fitted to the works 4s, but their average speed capability is so inaccurate that they don't attract any penalties! So mostly a bit of car jewellery.

Brantz2 (c. £130) totally electronic with full bag of tricks. Think you're ok for HRCR, but will attract penalties from HERO and penalties and very black looks for spoiling the period atmos, from CRA. Look on the HERO website for 2002 Le Jog regs for an example of what I mean.

I would go for the retrotrip, but its up to you.

Would be great to know what you decide, and also what events you're doing this year.

Mark

Guest andywduck

Thanks very much for the extremely helpful reply.  Will go for the retrotrip.  So far this year we are going on Simon Rossiter's weekend trip to Le Touquet, and (hopefully) the Three Castles rally in Wales (we are first on the reserve list and the organisers seem confident that we will get a place), plus possibly the Cotswold economy run in August.  Also hoping to fit in something from the HRCR programme and local 12 car rallies.  This is all very new to us (we have only done scatter rally type things before) so we are trying to pick easier looking events to start with.

Thanks again (Judith  - Andy's wife and would be navigator)

I have only done the Simon Rossiter/continental car tours Rallies so far but fitted the Brantz2

on the advice of Simon, its big bright numbers do help as does the intermediate trip remote button, I fitted it to a made-up replacement glove-box door so I can go back to original.

I have also just had my speedo re-calibrated at 'Speedy Cables'.

I envy you doing Le-Touquet  as it so near to the port and home for us in Kent, still hope to do one later in the year.   :^

:) Last minute two penith worth. I would go with the brantz for costs and usefulness. I have luxury of having a halda but all that andy says is right unless you plan to do the real historic stuff. I also have a (cheap) speedpilot and its just a dash gizmo to look at. My navigator hates it.

I would add that the best piece of kit is the brantz clock, particularly for night rallies and 12 cars. £100 is cheap.

The only downside is that when the brantz gear get a smack or a power surge it is scrap. Be warned. You can hit a halda with a hammer (or a knee more likely )and it will still work.

If you get rich a Heuer rallymaster (mastertime and monte carlo stopwatch) is just fabulous (and they work) and they are a far better investment than the stockmarket at the moment in my own recent experience.

I was told to avoid the retrotrip as the numbers are smaller than the halda and they click audibly when they turn . All the time, monotonously, mile after mile ...... I have no personal experience of this so take this at face value. I also understand that the GTI rallytwin is no good - again based on hearsay as far as I am concerned.

Last point but one worth noting. haldas are like cash and you will get what you paid back if you trade it on. All the spares are available. Youll get very little for a used brantz - I bought a little used one for £25 a year ago. I also wouldnt bother buying the single readout tripmaster as youll just want to trade up and get a twin.

Regards

Tony

I have a Halda Twin Tripmaster as well as a Halda Speedpilot which I used in my TR3A from about 1959 through 1965.  They have been in a box in my garage since then.  You say parts are available.  Can you let me know where ?  Do you have their website address ?

Thanks for this.

Don Elliott, Montreal, Canada, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A

TR Register Member since 1987