It was the sort of day when one feels like bestowing some tlc on ones beloved, what's better than to be tucked up, inside, out of the rain on a Wednesday afternoon, even if it is supposed to be June :rolleyes: .

The sense of trepidation and excitement as you start to remove those unnecessary hindrances to reveal the object of your desire :unsure: . As you get closer you want to prolong the enjoyment, I lay on my back and thought I would be like this for eternity, then it was my turn to be on top. This was going to last well into the evening, I managed to contort myself into the most impossible positions, and used all manner of techniques I learnt as an adolescent.

But no matter how hard I tried, I could not for the life of me figure out how in the name of Jesus you were supposed to get that fe*king nut onto the back of the bell housing to hold on my fancy new high-torque starter. Eventually I came to a climactic finish by using a tiny piece of wire with the nut balanced precariously on the end ;) .

Lo and behold my beloved was appreciative of my affections and roared into life like never before :lol: .

It was the sort of day when one feels like bestowing some tlc on ones beloved, what's better than to be tucked up, inside, out of the rain on a Wednesday afternoon, even if it is supposed to be June :rolleyes: .

The sense of trepidation and excitement as you start to remove those unnecessary hindrances to reveal the object of your desire :unsure: . As you get closer you want to prolong the enjoyment, I lay on my back and thought I would be like this for eternity, then it was my turn to be on top. This was going to last well into the evening, I managed to contort myself into the most impossible positions, and used all manner of techniques I learnt as an adolescent.

But no matter how hard I tried, I could not for the life of me figure out how in the name of Jesus you were supposed to get that fe*king nut onto the back of the bell housing to hold on my fancy new high-torque starter. Eventually I came to a climactic finish by using a tiny piece of wire with the nut balanced precariously on the end ;) .

Lo and behold my beloved was appreciative of my affections and roared into life like never before :lol: .

They can be a major pain to get the nut on as there is such limited space unless you strip the gearbox cover out. The last one I fitted I had to use three extensions and a wobbly drive on a 1/4" socket drive and come in from behind and over the side of the gearbox!!

There are some HiTorque starters being sold in the US that are a slightly different shape and have a conventional nut and bolt fitting top and bottom (also cheaper even with the postage)

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

They are a total nightmare. I did mine the same as Stuart but needed to get the nut to just about grip from above first. Nut dropped many times and much cursing but got there eventually. I've had it removed a few times since but with the tunnel cover off, therefore no problem.

Wyn

They are a total nightmare. I did mine the same as Stuart but needed to get the nut to just about grip from above first. Nut dropped many times and much cursing but got there eventually. I've had it removed a few times since but with the tunnel cover off, therefore no problem.

Wyn

An alternative that worked for me was to remove the end plate, press out the STUPID fixed stud and replace with a bolt of the same length (+ washer of course). When reassembled I then had enough flexibility to hold the nut in position from above and turn the bolt to engage the thread and tighten. Not too fiddly and I didn't need to remove the gearbox cover.

(I did keep the stud, though, in case of warranty issues)

Hope this is of some use...

CP62

It was about 15 years ago that the local TR guru (now deceased) told me to use masking tape to tape the nut into the end of the open end wrench to hold the nut in place with the wrench in one hand while I thread the nut in from the open end. I have never forgotten those words of wisdom. Maybe they can help you in this situation.

Good tip Don! Another method of securing a nut or fastener to a spanner, piece of brazing rod, dowelling or whatever is a spot of superglue, which will usually hold onto the fastener long enough to catch the thread.

The problem with the starter though is the fixed bolt which menas that you can't hold the nut in one place and thread into it. Whilst these two methods work well, they wouldn't work on the starter bolt, not for me anyway.

Nice to see you back contributing regularly Jon, you went quiet for a while.

Wyn

Edited by Wyn