oil leak from filter housing

Recently got my TR4a through its MOT but there was a reasonable oil leak that the tester put down as advisory.

Looking around I thought it was initially coming from the rocker cover because of where the oil was.

I then had another look, this time with the engine on and noticed a small steady poor from the recessed nut on the top of the oil filter housing. I have the Tecalamit type with a 3" extended bolt in the top with the inside of the other end threaded that the filter retaining screw goes into.

I thought this would be a simple fix and looked on the mos site to find the part hasn't got a number. If you look on their web site (http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=2061) or page 20 of the current catalogue you'll see the bolt between numbers 3 & 4 with what looks to be the seal below it.

Does anybody know what this seal is and it's spec because I just took out some squashed brittle black pieces when I took it apart. I'm assuming it's going to be a reasonably thick o-ring.

Any information would be great.

Another question I have about the bolt is there looks to be a ring round it about 1/2" from the head, can be seen on the diagram. It look as though an o-ring could fit there but I roughly measured it and it looks as though it'll be inside the oil side of the housing and not actually in contact with anything.

I've found out a little bit more about the seal. Speaking to the Moss technical department they found the part number for an OEM catalogue, which is 505268.

The moss site don't list this part but interestingly the Rimmer site does (http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/cgi-bin/rimmer?findpart&PartID=505268) and list it as 'SEAL CLAMP NUT TO FILTER HEAD'. Unfortunately they don't stock it and couldn't give me any details about it.

From a stock of random o-rings at work I've found one that may do the trick so I'll try that but would still be interested if somebody else has any idea where to get a more suitable seal or the correct dimensions to aid sourcing one.

I then had another look, this time with the engine on and noticed a small steady poor from the recessed nut on the top of the oil filter housing. I have the Tecalamit type with a 3" extended bolt in the top with the inside of the other end threaded that the filter retaining screw goes into.

I recently had exactly the same problem when I looked to add the conversion kit for a modern spin on filter. When I enquired of a well known parts supplier ( not Moss) if I could get a new seal, they knew nothing about it & sold me a ( reasonably priced) second hand Telecamit head that did not leak. these are all of an age however & so I guess will leak one day.

Pictures I have seen seem to show the recessed nut ( which is not actually a nut at all) being held in by a circlip. How did you get to this to remove it & how will you replace it? i will be really interested in how you get on.

cheers.

Pictures I have seen seem to show the recessed nut ( which is not actually a nut at all) being held in by a circlip. How did you get to this to remove it & how will you replace it? i will be really interested in how you get on.

Hi Ollie

The groove in the extended bolt that you say you've seen a circlip on makes sense to me. I think I must have been a little heavy handed taking it out and the circlip must have slid off.

With the original filter this extended bolt would slacken every time it was changed without the circlip but because I've fitted the spin on filter the extended nut is kept firmly in place by the centre adapter screw.

I fitted the random o-ring I got from work and it looks to have done the trick, time will tell though.

Hi Ollie

The groove in the extended bolt that you say you've seen a circlip on makes sense to me. I think I must have been a little heavy handed taking it out and the circlip must have slid off.

With the original filter this extended bolt would slacken every time it was changed without the circlip but because I've fitted the spin on filter the extended nut is kept firmly in place by the centre adapter screw.

I fitted the random o-ring I got from work and it looks to have done the trick, time will tell though.

Hi,

I see what you mean about not needing the circlip with the conversion. I have tonight recovered my old leaker from the bin & will try & repair it as you have, at least I have my 2nd hand replacement as back-up.

thanks for the tip.

cheers,

Allan