Engine noise turns out to be non serious

For several days I have been faced with a noise in the engine that appeared to be coming midships from the cam side, amplified by the rocker cover and only under load. It was gradually getting worse and I had convinced myself that the cam was on its way out however other than the noise it appeared to run fine so it didn't quite stack up logically. Eventually discovered that if I lifted the front collector on the exhaust very slightly the noise stopped. That was when I found that three of the four nuts holding the downpipe to the manifold were only finger tight. The car is now sounding (and running) better than it ever has in my two years of ownership. Amazing how noises in the engine bay can lead you up the garden path.

Andy

Andy

Well done.

The noise in coming from my engine one sunny day! got worse and worse until it sounded like there were nuts in each cylinder.

After posting the problems I got lots of help from members but even more head scratching. I have given up and sent the car to the garage for repair - sounds expensive!

I wish all I had to do was clamp my nuts up tight.

The only good thing to come out of my experience is meeting such interesting and passionate people.

Good luck

Graham