Erratic Speedometer

Evening All,

Hope the following symptons can be assessed by someone.

At Christmas I had my speedo serviced and calibrated and upon refitting it it was fine for 2-3 months, however today when driving at slow speed the needle bounces ( and I mean bounces ) from 10mph up to 50mph and only when I throttle down and speed up does it settle and read correctly until I slow down to walking speed then it re-commences to bounce. Has anyone else had this. What does it indicate. I feel it could be the inner cable although I did remove it and regrease it at Christmas and it was OK then. ^_^:unsure:

Evening All,

At Christmas I had my speedo serviced and calibrated and upon refitting it it was fine for 2-3 months, however today when driving at slow speed the needle bounces ( and I mean bounces ) from 10mph up to 50mph and only when I throttle down and speed up does it settle and read correctly until I slow down to walking speed then it re-commences to bounce. Has anyone else had this. What does it indicate. I feel it could be the inner cable although I did remove it and regrease it at Christmas and it was OK then. ^_^:unsure:

Hi

I had the same problem on my speedometer on my TR6 .

Changed to a new speedometer cable and the problem was solved.

Oystein

Hi Richard.

Check the routing of the cable,to see if it is kinked,also make sure it is not touching on the exhaust as this will cause the metal to expand with the heat,and this will make it stick when turning.

Give a real good squirt of WD40 down the cable from the speedo end,also, check the angle drive is in alignment and it has not slipped round a bit!!

There is a small hole on the angle drive for lubricating with an oilcan,it is,should be accesible under the d/side tranny tunnel carpet,by the 'H' frame leg,via a small panel screwed to the tunnel.

Could be a worn plastic drive in the overdrive,this can be popped out to examine when you check the angledrive.

Good luck.

Dave

Evening All,

i had my speedo recal by jdo.he recons that [new] inner speedo cables are to long.

causing the needle in the back of speedo head to wear out the brass bearing ,causing needle bounce

solution only loosly tighten speedo cable to speedo. or cut 1/8" off inner cable.

richard