Bosch pumps

Vertical is probably the best way of mounting the pump, as this would ensure that the pump is always fully primed, with no air present in the canister. If it is mounted horizontally, it should always be held vertical, for a few minuets, with pump running to ensure that as much air as possible is out of the system.

Mike G

Vertical is probably the best way of mounting the pump, as this would ensure that the pump is always fully primed, with no air present in the canister. If it is mounted horizontally, it should always be held vertical, for a few minuets, with pump running to ensure that as much air as possible is out of the system.

Mike G

Presumbly terminal's upmost?

Hi Mike,

I have ordered my filters to fit this weekend - my pump is fitted horizontally, so it sounds like I should be conscious of air in the system when fitting or does it eventually excape via the fuel over-flow back to the tank?

Thanks for the replies. The reason for going vertical is to get the pump into the corner of the spare wheel well out of the way of the spare tyre. I haven't really had any problems since I put it down into the well, although in very hot weather with low fuel it sometimes makes a bit more noise than usual but keeps on going. I think they're fairly robust.

IMHO, this air thing is a red herring.

I had Pi kit in my Silverback race Vitesse. That had an estate body, with a wide flat fuel tank. Despite OE baffling and a small reservoir in the base of the tank, fuel surge was an enormous problem, until I fitted a separate swirl pot. That was kept filled by a Facet pump and the Bosch took its feed from the swirl pot, so it never entrained any air.

While the arrival of air at the MU had a disastrous effect on perfomance as the mixture went very lean indeed, it was temporary. Within a second of the car being back on the straight, fuel arrived again and acceleration returned. I think that a horizontally mounted Bosch can easily deal with air in the fuel, though the metering unit cannot! Nor I imagine, can that degree of leanness be good for the engine, except for very short periods of time.

John