noise from right rear wheel area

I can hear a rotational noise, with a squeaky sort of scuffing, on the right rear, which is a bit more noticeable on a roundabout. 1000 miles since I had all the rear suspension rebuilt, along with new rear bearings and a rebuilt diff. The rear tyre is not marked. I wondered if the rear brake lining was the culprit, could anyone suggest cause. thanks, regards, jc

I can hear a rotational noise, with a squeaky sort of scuffing, on the right rear, which is a bit more noticeable on a roundabout. 1000 miles since I had all the rear suspension rebuilt, along with new rear bearings and a rebuilt diff. The rear tyre is not marked. I wondered if the rear brake lining was the culprit, could anyone suggest cause. thanks, regards, jc

Hi John, is your car a 4A with IRS? If IRS you could have a stone wedged inside the S/A casting catching the UJ or hub, also worth checking is the pin which goes through the brake shoe and the back plate to help align it, the retainer sometimes comes off.

Good luck, Chris

Hi

Worth also checking that the brake backplate is rubbing on the drum too ...... it may not be seated properly, particularly if the hubs have been changed on exchange units ?

Regads

Tony

John,

did you change the brake shoes along with new fittings? The little retaining clips came off on me and spent a while sitting in the bottom of the drum wearing itself away. Just as well I kept the old round ones, fitted them and so far so good.

Edited by kob666e

Oh and check that you have got Vauhhall Viva shoes ..... they are almost the same, but 2mm wider and about 1 and 1/2 inches less friction material on them .....!

Thank you Tony, I took the rear drum off yesterday and found no marks anywhere that indicated wrong contact. The securing clip was intact. No stones lodged within the stub axle housing casting, that I could feel. Off line it was suggested, that a "dry UJ" outboard, may very well be the culprit. This I will strip down and inspect on Friday. Many thanks and regards, john

Decided to take the car up to tr improvements, crack. Wheel and drum nearly came off. Long story short, stub axle sheared just behind the castle nut. Slow speed, no damage except to brake shoe. Ray tri, came out to help with a replacement hub and shaft, swopped them over, tightened it all up. Painless...yeah right

Justin

Yes the hub had been recon'd. Seemingly all recon hubs retain the stub shaft unless obviously damaged or worn out. The recon process is about the bearings requiring press fitting. Unless the shaft is crack tested and I have no awareness the trade carry's that out as part of the process, there is no certainty of predicting a failure. The experience has made me think carefully about the condition of the rest of the rear components. I have lost a bit of confidence in the car. Despite the fact I have renewed or recon'd everything. I am considering the possibility of new replacement of these structural items.

Thanks, regards, john