Sports exhaust system

I am looking for advise on the best option for a complete exhaust system for fast road/rally TR3A with standard engine. Tractibility and torque in mid rev range is important.

rudi

I use a TREnterprises stainless sports / racing system on my TR4. The exhaust I have is actually for a TR2 as i bought it unused but secondhand from a guy that bought it for an early car. I modified a few bends slightly but nothing much as its basically all the same. It has two boxes (one small - mid, one large - rear)

From my point of view (for road and occasional stage rallies) its a great exhaust and also just gets under the noise thresholds a for most events. I dont know what they cost these days but it would seem sensible to buy a good system as youll have it on the car for a long time.

I can find out the spec and contact details if you need them.

Regards

Tony

Thx Tony, the system is in their catalogue I have downloaded from the net I guess.

Conc. noise regulations: would you think a single box system as the one from Phoenix is I believe would be too loud?

Tony, forgot to ask if you use this in combo with a 4/1 SS manifold as well?

:^ Hi Rudi

I reckon that the single box is too loud as I have one on my TR4a and it reads 105dbA at 3750revs !! (maybe the baffles in the box are going too). The twin box system reads in at 98dbA and is obviously a lot quieter. It is probably a less intrusive sound too, although I like the rocket ship racket of my TR4a when going under bridges etc.

Both the systems I have are 4 into 1 collector type manifolds (both TRE), running into a single jointing piece just to the rear of the starter motor. The rest is efectively a large bore single pipe, cut into sections to locate the boxes. It was also very easy to fit.

One note of caution - they do get very very hot, so I have wrapped the exhausts on both my cars in heat bandage (with stainless steel clips). This is expensive stuff (about £100 for and exhaust system - running all the way back to just before the overdrive unit) but it cuts out the extreme heat and avoids fuel vapourisation which I experienced in my TR4a with SU carbs.

I have wing vents and webers on the TR4 and it has no such problems, but the vents are not necessary really. They just look cool.

Regards

Tony

Tony, thx for the valuable advise. I wonder what the difference (apart from the price) might be between a manifold with 4 long branches that come together after the starter and one with shorter branches that come together before the starter. I have a phoenix manifold on my 6 with short branches and noticed they manufacture the same style for a 4 cyl.

On the Cambridge Mo'sport site you find the 2 diff types. (1 pc and 4 pcs). Would there be a noticable diff. in torque/hp at different rev. range?

:) Not sure what the difference in performance between 1 into 4 before or after is. I suspect its noticable on a race car, but less so on a road or rally car as youre not at full flows / revs for long. cant really judge anything on mine. Question for Chris Connolly or John Savage at Cambridge Motorsport I think ?? They will know the answer Im sure. Also try Steve Hall at TR Enterprises.

In terms of fitting I reckon that the closer you get to the exhaust ports the easier it is to work with if you need to change starters, gearboxes etc. as i have (and must do again!!!). This is why I have the ones I use on mine.

Regards

Tony