WIPER WHEELBOXES

In the distant past I replaced one of the wheelboxes on my '250 ( with a TR6 one in my ignorance <_< ) without removing the dashboard. I remembered it so well that I never bothered to put the correct one in until its extreme makeover decades later. So I would say it's doable, but one of the most aggravating jobs. Come to think of it, I would prefer it to removing a heater/blower assembly though.

In the interest of effecting a permanent repair I would suggest renewing the wheelboxes ( repros I've seen are just fine ) and get the best rack cable you can find, then grease within an inch of its life.

Thanks for that Tom....... I just managed to remove my wiper boxes this morning, took me 1 1/2 hrs.... maybe longer to refit :mellow:

Remove glove box support and LH facia vent hose

Remove glovebox inner

remove LH demister vent

remove Tachometer from dash

remove wheelbox covers for access to tube clamping screws

remove wiper motor and rack

remove wheelboxes and examine closely....(P.S. they are NEW! the rack is NEW...the tube is NEW!)

looking closely at the new/old wheelboxes the only (significant) difference is the 'crimp' on the new box is not deep enough to hold the rack cable against the gear (About 1.5mm wider)...... unfortunately the gears have been damaged where the rack has been jumping the gear teeth.

SO...if you get any replacement boxes , check that crimp is deep enough to prevent the problem and fix it before fitting them ideally!

photos show old and new....I should have compared them earlier :(

john

Edited by johnny250
Thanks for that Tom....... I just managed to remove my wiper boxes this morning, took me 1 1/2 hrs.... maybe longer to refit :mellow:

Remove glove box support and LH facia vent hose

Remove glovebox inner

remove LH demister vent

remove Tachometer from dash

remove wheelbox covers for access to tube clamping screws

remove wiper motor and rack

remove wheelboxes and examine closely....(P.S. they are NEW! the rack is NEW...the tube is NEW!)

looking closely at the new/old wheelboxes the only (significant) difference is the 'crimp' on the new box is not deep enough to hold the rack cable against the gear (About 1.5mm wider)...... unfortunately the gears have been damaged where the rack has been jumping the gear teeth.

SO...if you get any replacement boxes , check that crimp is deep enough to prevent the problem and fix it before fitting them ideally!

photos show old and new....I should have compared them earlier :(

john

Well done John you have highlighted yet another example of repro bits causing problems. It never ceases to amaze me how a small difference makes a repro part next to useless!

Stuart.