3A scuttle air vent question

Hi,

new member so trying for help.

Problems working out the correct connection for the vent pull wire to vent flap control.

Looks like it should be easy as there is a crank and straight link but it doesnt seem to work.

Having searched what reference books ie Service Manual, Restoration Manual and Moss catalogue I have there is no detail other than the wire and vent lid and spring shown.

Q? is how are these connected, is there a drawing somewhere or can someone sketch the mechanism.

How much pull movement from fully closed to fully open should you get.

Thanks

Stewart

Hello Stewart,

the vent-flap is a a kind of mystery ;)

but I found a solution that allows me to open/ close the flap as intended.

You need the flap complete with rear hinge and the front mechanism. This consists of

- a base plate, screwed to the scuttle. It loks like the angled brackets

- the first leg, loosely rivetted between the two parts of the base plate

- the second leg, rivetted between leg 1 and the flap itself. thsi is a straight piece of metal

- the flap himself :rolleyes:

- the spring - mounted between flaps brackets and the base plate.

The first leg is a triangle with a hole in each corner. Two of them are use for the rivets. Into the third hole the vent-pull is fixed.

Here you need some kind of locking screw (sorry for not getting the right words probably) - I found this piece somewhere, I think the source was TRF (The Roadster Factory). As this part is not in the Moss catalogue, its hard to find the part number .... but I guess I stumbled over it somehow, but it could have been on some special sales list.

But looking at all my old bills is puzzling - it was probably called "Pin ...", but there are a lot of them....

post-392-1205411843_thumb.jpg

post-392-1205411843_thumb.jpg

Edited by j-eichert
Hello Stewart,

the vent-flap is a a kind of mystery ;)

but I found a solution that allows me to open/ close the flap as intended.

You need the flap complete with rear hinge and the front mechanism. This consists of

- a base plate, screwed to the scuttle. It loks like the angled brackets

- the first leg, loosely rivetted between the two parts of the base plate

- the second leg, rivetted between leg 1 and the flap itself. thsi is a straight piece of metal

- the flap himself :rolleyes:

- the spring - mounted between flaps brackets and the base plate.

The first leg is a triangle with a hole in each corner. Two of them are use for the rivets. Into the third hole the vent-pull is fixed.

Here you need some kind of locking screw (sorry for not getting the right words probably) - I found this piece somewhere, I think the source was TRF (The Roadster Factory). As this part is not in the Moss catalogue, its hard to find the part number .... but I guess I stumbled over it somehow, but it could have been on some special sales list.

But looking at all my old bills is puzzling - it was probably called "Pin ...", but there are a lot of them....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stewart

Wondered how you are getting on with the scuttle vent. I am finishing off the restoration (started by someone else) of a TR3A. I have all the parts for the scuttle vent but have had trouble fitting the assembly. I also have been looking for a sketch or an installation procedure. Maybe it is just me and my big thumbs but I cant seem to get sufficient access to anchor the vent pull wire to the hinge. - What is the secret here? Do you fix the vent flap last?

regards

Steve

Hello Steve,

I hope these pictures are of some help.

- I preassembled th whole mechanism (including the pin for the vent-pull) .

- Then I fixed the flap by screwing in the rear hinge.

- Next step was screwing the front part to the scuttle.

- Then the "Vent-Pull" has to be pushed through its holes (best without kicking the grommets out as well). Main trouble is to find the hole in the bolt: You see nothing and you can't get your fingers in....

- Once you were lucky, holt one end of this bolt with a spanner and fixe the Vent-Pull with the screw. as you are working in the totaly open position, the button at the other end (dashboard) should almost completly visible.

- Then loosen the front screws again and put the spring between this part and the scuttle.

- Fix screws again and mange the loose ends of the spring into their holes in the flap.

Sounds quite easy but is nerve- racking....

Maybe their is a better solution - but as my pic's proove: I got mine mounted this way - and it works. But dont mind if I don't remove it to show you pic's of this bolt.....

post-392-1206542530_thumb.jpg

post-392-1206542540_thumb.jpg

post-392-1206542562_thumb.jpg

post-392-1206542530_thumb.jpg

post-392-1206542540_thumb.jpg

post-392-1206542562_thumb.jpg

Hello Johannes

Many thanks for the info and pictures. They are a great help.

regards

Steve

reg

Hello Steve,

I hope these pictures are of some help.

- I preassembled th whole mechanism (including the pin for the vent-pull) .

- Then I fixed the flap by screwing in the rear hinge.

- Next step was screwing the front part to the scuttle.

- Then the "Vent-Pull" has to be pushed through its holes (best without kicking the grommets out as well). Main trouble is to find the hole in the bolt: You see nothing and you can't get your fingers in....

- Once you were lucky, holt one end of this bolt with a spanner and fixe the Vent-Pull with the screw. as you are working in the totaly open position, the button at the other end (dashboard) should almost completly visible.

- Then loosen the front screws again and put the spring between this part and the scuttle.

- Fix screws again and mange the loose ends of the spring into their holes in the flap.

Sounds quite easy but is nerve- racking....

Maybe their is a better solution - but as my pic's proove: I got mine mounted this way - and it works. But dont mind if I don't remove it to show you pic's of this bolt.....