Hi there, I am going to look at a 4a this week that has a tr6 engine fitted. For some reason, I thought that the original engine was 2.0 6 cyl - I now know better! Aside from originality, is this modification anything to worry about?

Thanks in advance

Graham

Depends on the price & what you’re looking for really! I’ve had a 6 for a long. long time but also like all the other marques. I would advise; if you want a 4A buy a 4A; if you want a 6, buy a 6; personally, I would not buy a “bastardised” car unless it was really, really & really cheap! Pedigree is everything with these cars unless your going to customise (which I don’t have a problem with) & then you might as well buy the cheapest you can get & go the whole hog! The car may also be of questionable origin which is another thing to look out for!

If it is a dark blue TR4A (see pic) - I supplied it to Harry Ades the current owner - he has had a son and now can't get the sprog & the wife in (leave the wife at home I say!) which is why he is selling. Advertised at £6995.....

Edited by marko

Hi Graham,

It is a pretty solid car from what I remember - he has probably had it 2-3 years??

The paint has a few blemishes but overall it is quite nice.

To the purist it is not right but it goes well and sounds just like a TR5!

My only comment is that when you go to sell it, there is a limited market because most people want a TR4A to be a TR4A - not pretending to be a TR5! - but if you want a decent, solid car to bomb around in and have loads of fun in the summer - go for it, I suspect the price will be a bit negotiable.....

If you want a chat about it see my contact details on www.classic-marques.co.uk

Cheers Mark

Edited by marko

Thanks Mark - it happens every year (for the last 5 years!) in the spring - I go looking for a 6. I have a stag and came very close to getting rid of it last year but couldnt bring my self to let it go. I am happy to buy a cheaper one, keep them both for the summer and see if I like the TR more than the stag. Then in August sell the least fav or sell them both and buy a 964 cab!

Might take you up on the phone call

Graham

Stag's and TR's are very different animals and are for different moods - I think the Stag is very under-rated and under priced in the current market - they are fantastic cars and very smooth if they are properly sorted.

TR's are more brutal and you really should have one of each - no question!

What are you waiting for....... :lol:

Graham,

I converted my 4A temporarily a few years ago while I was having 4 cylinder reliability problems.

A few things need to be done thoroughly to ensure safety.

Firstly the 6 engine is obviously longer so the steering shaft from a 5 or 6 is required - the steering rack needs to be remounted about 5 inches forward. This is the bit to look carefully at - it must obviously be done well.

The turret chassis brace also needs to have been replaced with a 5 or 6 item to clear the engine. Ensure it is fitted and not just left off.

Hope this helps, it certainly made my 4A a much smoother drive, though as stated on a previous reply, non standard.

Regards,

Fin.

Hi Mark, I viewed the car today and decided not to bid for it. It is a sound car but could be bit of a money pit if I decided to keep it - a lot of the fittings, if not all of them, are showing their age. Harry had two viewings at the same time and I suspect the other person at least bid on it.

Perhaps I should come and have a look at one of yours!

Graham