Keeping the engine liners in place

Hi all,

This week I have a full time job working on my car(s). It's spring holiday overhere in Holland and I can spend 5 days in the workshop. Anyway, I was helping Allen dismantling a TR engine. (To put things in perspective: I just followed orders!).

When he wanted to take out the engine, he came up with this little tool: 4 metal strips welded to 4 metal pipes. The tool clamps down the cylinder liners and it act as a hoist attachment at the same time.

I'm sure that some (all?) of you have your own trick for this job, but I just would like to share the picture with you, in case you're thinking of removing the engine.

(btw: the engine had to come out for a full rebuild! It was total horror inside: metal swarf in the sump, tappets that where chipped: pieces of metal missing; not all tappets had the same lenght and one of the lobes (is that the word?) on the camshaft was totally rounded off; all four cylinder liners were glazed.

The owner of the car had bought the car last Christmas. Together with a bill for rebuilding the engine just 3500 miles ago... I'm glad that my engine wasn't rebuild by that workshop!)

Hi all,

This week I have a full time job working on my car(s). It's spring holiday overhere in Holland and I can spend 5 days in the workshop. Anyway, I was helping Allen dismantling a TR engine. (To put things in perspective: I just followed orders!).

When he wanted to take out the engine, he came up with this little tool: 4 metal strips welded to 4 metal pipes. The tool clamps down the cylinder liners and it act as a hoist attachment at the same time.

I'm sure that some (all?) of you have your own trick for this job, but I just would like to share the picture with you, in case you're thinking of removing the engine.

(btw: the engine had to come out for a full rebuild! It was total horror inside: metal swarf in the sump, tappets that where chipped: pieces of metal missing; not all tappets had the same lenght and one of the lobes (is that the word?) on the camshaft was totally rounded off; all four cylinder liners were glazed.

The owner of the car had bought the car last Christmas. Together with a bill for rebuilding the engine just 3500 miles ago... I'm glad that my engine wasn't rebuild by that workshop!)

Hello Menno

very good idea for holding down the liners but I think a bad one for lifting out the engine, looks like a stud could easily be bent a little to me.

regards

Peter

Hello Menno

very good idea for holding down the liners but I think a bad one for lifting out the engine, looks like a stud could easily be bent a little to me.

regards

Peter

Too bad it's a picture, not a film. After attaching the chain, we had the same thoughts you have and changed to straps around the engine. I must add that the engine on the picture is a 'light version' of the TR engine. There was not much weight left. Apart from the cylinder head, the pistons and the bottom parts of the engine were already off. At first, Allen thought that it could be repaired with the engine 'in situ', but after accessing the rounded cam and glazed liners, it was a engine out job, obviously

Amazingly how quickly all is prepared when you want to have the engine out!

Shame that the engine is so badly repaired. This TR4 is really a nice looking car: nice details, beautiful paintwork. The owner payed a hefty sum for this car. Now he's facing a (my estimation, based on experience...) bill of 1700 euros.

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij