Cylinder Head Id

Hi Chaps,

Am in the process of replacing cork rocker gasket, old one had become rather flat over the years. Am also checker clearances.

When i removed the gasket i noticed a number in the head directly below the gasket at the battery, any one know what this number means or has any signifigance.

PB BD M 91627121.

Would be interested to know.

Regards

Guy

Hi Guy

Got 2 heads in the garage but can't see any number like this on them (perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place?).

As a wild guess I'd say it was a foundry pattern number. Anyone got any other ideas?

Tony

Hi Tony,

Heres a pic showing the numbers

DSC04620.jpg

Cheers

Guy

Guy

Didn't realise it was stamped, definitely not a pattern number, that would have been cast in.

Another wild guess, someting to do with it being imported into Jersey?

Other than that, no idea. There's nothing like that on any of my heads.

Tony

Guy

Another wild guess, someting to do with it being imported into Jersey?

Tony

Tony,

No is not anything to do with being imported from uk to Jersey. I have only noticed it in changing the gasket, that gasket i put on about seven years ago, but didnt notice the numbers at that time.

Its a mystery, i dont know any history to engine or head apart from its not the original engine and according to TRGB when i bought the car , the motor had been tinkered with different cam.Thats part of the reason i want to take it apart, but it aint broke yet.

So i find these numbers puzzling

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal
another wild guess - I was told once, that when heads have been worked on, a good machine shop would stamp the heads with references of what they did mmmm

Bill

Bill,

I reckon you have probably hit the nail on the head, the car came from TRGB land Cambridgeshire, and might off had had something to do with Chestnut House Sports Cars.

Will have to do further investgations. Anyone know of any machine shops in the above area, could theletters be a company abreviation?

Regards

Guy

Bill,

I reckon you have probably hit the nail on the head, the car came from TRGB land Cambridgeshire, and might off had had something to do with Chestnut House Sports Cars.

Will have to do further investgations. Anyone know of any machine shops in the above area, could theletters be a company abreviation?

Regards

Guy

Just to update and round this up, thanks to Wayne S, Ihave found out that the engine was worked on by Chris Carter back in 1991 who carried out the work to the engine and the headwork producing a fast road car, for Mark Parkinson.

Well he certainly did a good job as its still going strong 17 years latter.

Regards

Guy

Guy

Just a thought:

If you're still intent on re-building an engine (which is a great idea) you'll need to make it to a similar spec or you'll be disappointed with the resulting performance.

Tony

Tony,

Having only driven one Tr ever, :blink: think you are correct, hoping to get further info on existing spec from Chris Carter, he remebers the car well.

Regards

Guy

Guy