TR4A INFROMATION

Hi

I have just purchased an American imported TR4A and am just coming to terms with the hole experience. I have a number of questions that I would love to have some guidance on.

First the hand brake, can you change this to a what I would class as normal push button to release as I’m struggling to get use to the push to lock set up?

Wire wheels, this is the first car I have had with wire wheels and am wondering how tight do you do the nuts ( winged lugs) up and do you need to recheck them regally?

Pedals, I must admit I have size 11 shoes but the pedals seam tight to me and I’m always putting high beam on instead of dipping the clutch. Is this normal or do I need to change the pedal arms R/H drive , is their any difference.

Last but probably the biggest, the car I have purchased is an American import and the side lights are on all the time which in itself isn’t a big thing but I have found that if I have the main lights on and try to turn the engine off the engine will not stop unless the lights are turn off. Is this normal or should I look at installing a complete right hand drive harness.

Any guidance would be welcomed………

Richard in Northumberland.

Handbrake.

agreed it takes a little while before it vecomes instinctive. Personally I would persevere as the fly off handbrake is entirely appropriate for the car and to me - given the location - is easier to release. Later cars have the conventional arrangement so it would be easy to make the switch over.

I don't think the lights should be on all the time, but could be wrong, I certainly don't recall seeing any mention of this, nor a US unique wiring diagram. Other members will know for sure. Even if it's meant, given the minimalist way Triumph changed things it should be simple to revert to "normal" without getting a new loom, very expensive. I would say its more likely you have a wiring fault or the car has been re-wired to do this by a previous owner, that being the cae it should be relatively simple to revert.

Mike

Richard, I note you are referring to a TR4a so presumably the handbrake is horizontal on top of the prop shaft tunnel rather than upright by the right hand side of the tunnel.. Having a TR4 myself the handbrake is in the latter position so completely different to a modern car so I don't find it a problem to convert to the fly off handbrake arrangement when driving the TR.

Is your car still left hand drive or has it been converted ? There is a difference betweeen lhd and rhd pedals. lhd pedals can be heated and bent ( I think garages call it re-worked) to use on a rhd car. rhd pedals are harder to come by generally as most cars were lhd exports. The pedal box can be unbolted from the underside of the bulkhead and taken apart.

I believe your electrics have been converted to have side lights on all the time as I don't belive they were originally like that when they left the factory. It should be relatively easy to change back, but it depends upon how professional the previous wiring changes have been. Personally I think a new loom at around £150 is relatively cheap, and safer when you consider the original plastic coatings on the wires are now over 40 years old and will have deteriorated.

Sorry can't help with the wire wheels query, mine has steel wheels. I'm afraid I couldn't be bothered to keep chrome wire wheels clean hence steel ones for me although I accept wire wheels look nicer.

Regards

Trevor.