Horns on a TR4A

Well, I've owned my car since 1982 and still find something new. Both black horns are stamped with "H" but they are different. One (non-working) has a flat-ish top (small raised bar across the flat top, and both wires enter from one side, together). The other (working) is crowned with a smaller circle on top, and in the middle of this raised "bump" is a screw (pitch adjustment?). Wires enter from either side of this raised circle. I guess from different years? Can anyone shed anymore light?

I’m pretty sure the originals were made by “Clear Hooters” & the name should be on there somewhere. One should be marked with H (high) & the other with L (low), this refers to the pitch & gives the two tone effect when they both work together; the L hooter has a larger horn than the H to give the lower pitch. The screw adjusts the trembler which affects the volume not the pitch.

It sounds like the one without the screw may not be original. I don’t know how different years vary in shape/spade connectors but some had 6 or 8 nuts & bolts around the edge so you could take them apart but others were riveted together. The problem is if they get water in them, the trembler seizes up but you can bring them back to life if you take them apart; I’ve drilled the riveted ones through before now so I could get at the innards to repair them & then replaced with screws.

I’m pretty sure the originals were made by “Clear Hooters” & the name should be on there somewhere. One should be marked with H (high) & the other with L (low), this refers to the pitch & gives the two tone effect when they both work together; the L hooter has a larger horn than the H to give the lower pitch. The screw adjusts the trembler which affects the volume not the pitch.

It sounds like the one without the screw may not be original. I don’t know how different years vary in shape/spade connectors but some had 6 or 8 nuts & bolts around the edge so you could take them apart but others were riveted together. The problem is if they get water in them, the trembler seizes up but you can bring them back to life if you take them apart; I’ve drilled the riveted ones through before now so I could get at the innards to repair them & then replaced with screws.

Thanks..looks like I have two "H's" from different years. Wondering if the screw was on both horns, or just the H one. I think rather than fixing the broken H, I will try and source a working L one. Any good ideas on how to locate one, and what the cost might be?

Edited by ron77
Thanks..looks like I have two "H's" from different years. Wondering if the screw was on both horns, or just the H one. I think rather than fixing the broken H, I will try and source a working L one. Any good ideas on how to locate one, and what the cost might be?

I don’t think they are anything special & were not unique to Triumph so you should be able to pick one up at one of the better classic show’s auto jumbles; Enfield & Bristol were always my favourites but I haven’t been for years. Try giving TRGB or the TR shop a ring as they carry a lot of 2nd hand junk (sorry valuable spare parts!) as, probably, the others do; they often turned up missing stuff I needed for my resto & I then refurbished it myself.

I don’t think they are anything special & were not unique to Triumph so you should be able to pick one up at one of the better classic show’s auto jumbles; Enfield & Bristol were always my favourites but I haven’t been for years. Try giving TRGB or the TR shop a ring as they carry a lot of 2nd hand junk (sorry valuable spare parts!) as, probably, the others do; they often turned up missing stuff I needed for my resto & I then refurbished it myself.

Thanks....will do!