Float chamber levels in SU carbs.

The workshop manuel gives instructions on how to set the floats but when the top is removed at about what level should the fuel be in the chamber.When I removed mine there it was about a third full and the float was set correctly I think.I am not sure if this is high enough.Again any help gratefully received,Brian

I believe, but could well be wrong, that the level of fuel in the float chamber coincides with the top of the carburettor jet. If it is too high fuel will spill out of the jet, into the manifold causing rich running. What the level drops to when you have taken the float chamber lid and float out is anybody's guess!

Edited by Rhodri

The float takes up so much space that the level of the petrol in the chamber with the float removed is no real guide at all to the state of things when everything is assembled. If you are uncertain as to the dynamic level, it might be worth replacing the valve and checking it as specified in the manual. The modern valve assembly is better than the original, and you are unlikely to see a step (the result of wear) in the moving part, as always used to happen in the old days!

Ian Cornish