Help/advice needed (please)

I got half way between Newcastle and Blackpool (why I hear you ask....) a couple of weeks ago when the overdrive on my '72 6 decided to disengage itself....no warning, just disengaged at ~ 75mph. Switch works OK as every time I tried to re-engage it it would work OK for anything between 2 and 30 seconds and then disengage again.....most disconcerting.....eventually gave up and continued in "nornal" 4th. incidentally, tried it on the way back again but no change.

Any ideas.......thanks, and a happy New Year to all :unsure:

The filler plug is accessible from under the car, though can be awkward to get at - especially if over tight! I use a 'squeezy bottle' with tube (from an old supply of gear oil) which works okay (saves taking the tunnel off!)

Brgds

As a TR4 owner, I am surprised that there is no access hole (closed with a large rubber plug, about 2" in diameter) in the left side of the gearbox coverl opposite the filler plug, as would be found on the TR4/4A. Had Triumph omitted this as well as the filler plug on the differential?

If there is such an access hole, filling is relatively simple with the use of a squashable container, but it is worth having some old newspapers under the gearbox area, as spillage always occurs. Also, warm the oil as much as possible, as it is pretty viscous and in this weather flows very slowly indeed!

Ian Cornish