lower wishbone

Hi, hope you all have had enough xmas pud and are suitably stuffed. Happy new year to all. I was out in the garage today having a little poke around under the car and noticed that the rubber seals on the lower wishbone were moving out. Although they are misshapen the rubber looks in good condition, is the normal. I have had the car a short time (3 years) all other suspension components seem in good order, chassis reinforcing etc. Is it normal for these seals to fail frequently? I use the car regularly, but only in dry weather (advantage of living in Perth) so the likelihood of water/mud getting into the bush is remote. If I am to replace then I might as well replace bushes etc. thoughts? Also looking at the moss/ rimmer books I cannot see the seal or thrust washer mentioned??? mark

Hi, hope you all have had enough xmas pud and are suitably stuffed. Happy new year to all. I was out in the garage today having a little poke around under the car and noticed that the rubber seals on the lower wishbone were moving out. Although they are misshapen the rubber looks in good condition, is the normal. I have had the car a short time (3 years) all other suspension components seem in good order, chassis reinforcing etc. Is it normal for these seals to fail frequently? I use the car regularly, but only in dry weather (advantage of living in Perth) so the likelihood of water/mud getting into the bush is remote. If I am to replace then I might as well replace bushes etc. thoughts? Also looking at the moss/ rimmer books I cannot see the seal or thrust washer mentioned??? mark

Hi Mark

if you take my advice, replace the bushes on lower and upper wishbones with Polybushes, they will not squish out and bind up like the rubber ones do and will vastly improve the ride/handling. Mine came in a kit c/w crush tubes, special grease etc + antiroll bar and link bushes. I believe they come in different compositions of hardness and am sure there are others who will be more able than me to explain the effects of these.

Not the best of jobs but well worth the effort.

All the best

John