Overdrive Electrical Problem?

Hi All

I'm having a problem with my A Type overdrive which may have developed after that memorable run

to Malvern earlier this year. We did get there eventually after spending the Friday night in Hereford Leisure Centre,however on numerous occasions we went through some very deep water, which at the time caused no problems apart from wet carpets. After Malvern we travelled down to Cardiff, then on to St Albans before returning North, this helped dry the car out. Once home the horns stopped working and now the overdrive has packed up. The interesting thing will the overdrive is that when its engaged the ammeter jumps midway into the POSITIVE side, this happen with or without the engine running. Before I venture down to a very cold garage and start taking a look has anyone any ideas why the ammeter is behaving as it is, in all other respects it does as expected, shows a discharge when lights are turned on.

Thanks

Cameron

Assuming the hooters are the standard offering, they probably got full of water & the trembler plate has not rusted up; you may be able to repair them but you will have to strip them. Some have nuts & bolts (holding them together (easy) some are spot welded as part of the original assembly process you have to drill them out & replace with nuts & bolts.

Re the overdrive; you almost certainly got water in the solenoid actuator & it’s also probably seized or you may have burned out the windings if water has got right inside. A jump in the ammeter should show the initial current required to energize the primary windings but if yours is showing a POSITIVE reading, you may well have burned out the solenoid windings, I don’t know. Once it’s engaged, a reduced current on the secondary windings holds it in place; a strip down job I’m afraid; I would also check out the GB inhibitor switches to see if they are still functioning OK. In the meantime, I wouldn’t leave it energised until you get a look at it or you may cause even more damage. Get your wallet ready, you may need a new solenoid & I believe they are quiet expensive!

Price of solenoids has dropped considerably lately as they are once more being remanufactured. At one time they were that expensive it was worth buying them whenever they turned up at Autojumbles and repairing them whatever. TR Shop 0208 9956621 has them at sensible prices.

Stuart.