Damper nut tool

After struggling with removal and tightening of the damper nut, I decided to make the tool below to make life easier. A 1m length of 20mm x 4mm steel from B&Q for £3, a bit of welding and bobs your uncle, couldn't be simpler to tighten the nut to specified torque now!

post-4704-1196526105_thumb.jpgpost-4704-1196526145_thumb.jpg

post-4704-1196526105_thumb.jpg

post-4704-1196526145_thumb.jpg

After struggling with removal and tightening of the damper nut, I decided to make the tool below to make life easier. A 1m length of 20mm x 4mm steel from B&Q for £3, a bit of welding and bobs your uncle, couldn't be simpler to tighten the nut to specified torque now!

post-4704-1196526105_thumb.jpgpost-4704-1196526145_thumb.jpg

I am a little confused, probably because I haven't done this job before......why can you not use a regular wrench to hold that nut?

I am a little confused, probably because I haven't done this job before......why can you not use a regular wrench to hold that nut?

Basically the damper nut is on the end of the damper rod which is free to rotate if you try & turn it. There is a large domed washer beneath the nut that locates on a flat on the end of the damper rod, this washer has 2 slots which the tool locates on (see pic), thus stopping the damper rod turning when you tighten/loosen the damper nut with a torque wrench/spanner (not shown in pic).

Standard practice has been to wedge a stout screwdriver into one of the slots against the studs in the strut mounting, far from ideal & not very easy. When dismantling I have ended up standing on a spanner and whacking the domed nut with a bar and lump hammer to free it off!

The service manual calls up tool no. RTR359 which is no longer available.

Hope this clarifies things!

Basically the damper nut is on the end of the damper rod which is free to rotate if you try & turn it. There is a large domed washer beneath the nut that locates on a flat on the end of the damper rod, this washer has 2 slots which the tool locates on (see pic), thus stopping the damper rod turning when you tighten/loosen the damper nut with a torque wrench/spanner (not shown in pic).

Standard practice has been to wedge a stout screwdriver into one of the slots against the studs in the strut mounting, far from ideal & not very easy. When dismantling I have ended up standing on a spanner and whacking the domed nut with a bar and lump hammer to free it off!

The service manual calls up tool no. RTR359 which is no longer available.

Hope this clarifies things!

Most dampers have a flat on the end of the threaded rod. The other way is to use a spanner on this flat to stop the damper rotating when you are trying to undo the top nut. In the past I have also seen molegrips used instead of a spanner!

Just my thoughts.