Epoxy Mastic rustproofer

Greetings

I'm sure this general subject has been covered many times previously and any links to prevoius posts would be good.

However, having removed the front and shortly the back wings from CT24520 I want to seal the inner & outer wings as thoroughly as possible.

I have come across Epoxy Mastic 2 part paint while browsing tinternet. Has anyone had any experience of this stuff ? Aparantley it is used on oil rigs and the general blurb reads quite well. It is not cheap though and suggestions for less esxpensive alternatives would be very welcome.

If it is Rusteater epoxy mastic then, yes, I have used it on a chassis. Difficult to get a decent finish, and, in my opinion, it did not adhere to the metal as well as I thought it should. If I tightened a bolt the rotation of the head would pull pieces of paint off. This time I have used Por 15, still awkward to get a smooth coat, but I feel it is better than the Rusteater. On the inside of wings either would do. Read the Por 15 website as there are time periods when you can and can't overcoat, etc etc. Epoxy mastic, from memory came in many colours which would save having to overcoat. Both paints are a devil to get off your hands, wear gloves as it takes weeks for it to wear off. They are probably the same type of paint- just different names !

Hi Paul,

before you use the epoxy mastic do you have rust present on the wings.

Although a lot of these epoxy paints slow the progression of rust by almost eliminating atmospheric oxygen

they are never 100%.

If you have rust, remove as much as possible mechanically, then treat the surface with a rust remover or

converter.

If you can pickle the rust of with one of the Frost products you could then coat the 'bare' metal with something like

Zinga (Zincguard) serious zinc based primer. Then over paint with normal undercoat & top coat then coat the

whole lot with Waxoyl type stuff. For the wing areas the use of liners to stop excessive water & muck getting up

there should ensure a reasonable life.

The POR 15 has a very good right up but I have not used it (yet), from the same supplier (Frosts) Coroless is also

very good .

Have fun

Roger

Hi Paul

I've used it although not for long enough to really comment.

As you say, it's used on oil rigs, boat hulls etc. etc. and yes, it's not cheap!

I have taken rust patches back to bare metal, treated with Jenolite, primed with Bondarust and then a top coat of Jotun 2 part.

I'm just doing the same to my wings at the moment, one corner at a time though.

Hopefully it good. I'll comment more in a couple of years time :lol:

Regards

Rob