Spongy brakes

The brakes on my 6 work ok, but you have to depress the pedal once before the pedal becomes stiff and responsive, so the brakes are more effective on the second depression. Is this likely to be a case of simply bleeding the brakes or could it be something to do with a dodgy servo? :rolleyes:

Any advice is much appreciated,

James.

Hi James,

could be air in the system requiring all four brakes to be bled. Or it could be worn front wheel bearing(s).

When you jack it up to bleed the front check the bearings for play.

Don't know about the servo as I haven't got such a luxury.

Best of luck

Roger

Hi James,

could be air in the system requiring all four brakes to be bled. Or it could be worn front wheel bearing(s).

When you jack it up to bleed the front check the bearings for play.

Don't know about the servo as I haven't got such a luxury.

Best of luck

Roger

Thanks Roger, a fluid change is a good idea anyway, will also check bearings for play. I just need a dry day to get the car outside and have a crack at it. Should be straightforward provided the bleed nipples arent seized ;)

I've had the same brake pedal response. Could indeed be air, but in my case (after bleeding the brakes) it turned out to be the master brake cylinder.

Does the pedal (at first touch) (very) slowly drop to the floor ?

Yes i think it does, the pedal is too soft and brakes feel unresponsive. I guess the best thing to is adopt a process of elimination, bleed first and worry about the master cylinder next :rolleyes: . What did you do to rectify the problem with the master cylinder?? :blink:

Regards,

James.

Yes i think it does, the pedal is too soft and brakes feel unresponsive. I guess the best thing to is adopt a process of elimination, bleed first and worry about the master cylinder next :rolleyes: . What did you do to rectify the problem with the master cylinder?? :blink:

Regards,

James.

If the pedal goes slowly to the floor, my experience is that it is air in the brakes lines, or a faulty BMC.

First bleed the brakes, if this is no improvement I'll bet you it's faulty BMC. :(

Cheers.