Lost: 1963 TR4 1722 KX

Hi all

1963 TR4 1722 KX (CT22267)

A colleague (a local Parish Councillor) noticed a photo of TRK on the wall in my office the other day and recounted the story of her husband Peter Trow (Chobham, Surrey), and a previous Register member, restoring a TR4 back in the mid 80s and showed me an extensive photographic file of the restoration and wondered what had happened to it since?

The car was bought in Signal Red and underwent a complete home chassis-up restoration from about January 1984 – August 1986, which was documented in ‘Spares News’ (the forerunner to TRaction) throughout that period. The car’s original colour was believed to be Conifer Green (my guess from old photos of the restoration) and was sprayed Spruce Green.

I have checked the DVLA website and 1722 KX is still on the database as a TR4 and ‘Liability’ is due 1st July 2008. The car was first registered on 25th May 1963.

I’m not sure when 1722 KX was sold, but does anyone have any knowledge of it and is the current owner in the Register, as it would be good to put them in touch?

Below are a couple of photos shortly after the restoration in 1986, and as can be seen Peter made an excellent job:

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Coincidentally, I sent a letter to Steve Redway a couple of days ago on the very subject of the Spares News 'Typical Rebuilds' cars. I would also like to know what happened to the cars featured in this series as I lost touch with most of the owners after I gave up the editorship of Spares News.

• 1 month later...

What timing!

Since appearing in the 'Lost & Found' section of TRaction 223 I have received a number of emails informing that 1722 KX is up for sale in the classified pages of this weeks’ Classic Car Weekly (29 Nov) and the current edition of Triumph World - price £8750, and currently 'living' in Somerset.

I'll pass on the details to Peter who will no doubt get in touch with the seller.

Cheers

Andrew