Another, bit less stupid question

Evening All!

I'm sure I've seen this topic elsewhere but since the search engine won't cope with the word 'hot' I'll have to ask it again.

After a short run today, just about 15-20 mins, i noticed the ignition switch was too hot to touch when I turned the engine off. Any suggestions as to why this should be?

Also, over the last couple of days, when I've gone to start the car, sometimes when I turn the ignition switch to the start position, everything (fuel pump, starter motor, oil & ignition warning lights) cut out and the ammeter swings across to maximum discharge.

Are the two problems related? I'm thinking dodgy contacts in the switch. I'm sure I'll be proved wrong!

Thanks

Edited by claggy001

Yes, the problems are probably connected. I had the same problem when I first got my 6 about 5 years ago. It hadn't been run significantly for years and parts of the electrics had just deteriorated. I changed the switch assembly pronto (and not that long after the alternator) and all has been well since. The last thing you want is a melted wiring loom or worse still an under dash fire on your hands.

Although not directly related to your query, I had the unpleasant experience of driving along smelling burning from under the dash, it is not nice I assure you. I have now fitted a battery cut out switch next to the steering column, it's the only place I found where it was not in the way and also easily accessible from where you sit. I did have one under the bonnet but by the time you unstrap, open the bonnet etc, god only knows what state things would be in.

Regards,

Wyn

If you have an alternator (rather than a dynamo) fitted, as will be the case on a TR5/6, and possibly on a TR4A, remember to stop the engine BEFORE isolating the battery, else you will likely cook the alternator. Why? Because the alternator needs the battery to be there to provide a reference voltage - if it is no longer in the circuit, the alternator just winds its voltage up and up and ... bang!

The symptoms described definitely point to high resistance in the contacts inside the ignition switch. You may find that a good dosing with electrical contact cleaner (immersion is even better) whilst operating the switch back and forth, may resolve the problem. If not, new switch (or a good second-hand one.

Ian Cornish

Mark

Ignition switch diagnosis may well be your problem, but you could also try wiring the electric fuel pump (especially if it's a Bosch) direct to the battery and see if things cool down. I had a similar problem a few years back which was solved by taking the pump out of the ignition circuit. You can then power it via a ignition controlled relay.

Hi - I agree with Badshead, change the ignition switch and fit a relay to run your pump, the Bosch unit draws significantly more than the Lucas pump and either way a relay makes much more sense than running just through the switch itself. Last time I fitted the ignition switch (Rimmer) had to order 3 before I got a good one, may just be bad luck but worth being aware of. Cheers, Dave

Edited by millsie