All

bought a second hand PI setup last month to convert my CP series back to PI. It came with Bosch pump number 0580254996. I assume its up to spec but, 1 the fittings are push on so presumably that and a jubilee will do and cant whats inlet fromoutlet. One of the pipes is a 'fir tree' type with three rings to grip pipe and the other ha s one ring, assume the one ring is input. Any help welcomed. Filter is same ie push on fittings.

The Lucas PI is a high pressure system (min. 105 PSI), don’t under any circumstances use push on pipes with jubilee clips on the pressurised circuit; it’s highly dangerous & you could end up with a boot full of fuel or worse!

Sounds like the pump may have been cannibalised from another vehicle & not supplied specifically for the TR PI; if so, it may not be up to delivering the required flow rate @ such a high pressure. I am still persevering with the Lucas pump so have no knowledge of the best model Bosch to use but search the archive posts as there have been many threads on the best model to use.

Your pump should be up to it although it is a few years old - Bosch rationalised their range a few years ago it was replaced with a 909 which is the usual one used for TRs.

The push on fittings may well be correct - Goodyear cerainly manufactured high pressure pipes that used push on fittings that sound like the "Christmas tree" you refered to and could be assembled simply by pushing on the pipes without the need for jubilee clips yet could cope with 200+ psi.

If you are not sure if the pipes are up to it simply pop down to a good hydraulic supplier with the pipe, pump & unions and they will make some up quite cheaply either reusing your own if they are up to it or new as appropriate.

The inlet to the pump is suaually a push fit, low pressure hose the outlet usually a threaded connection or banjo type

Edited by andymoltu
Your pump should be up to it although it is a few years old - Bosch rationalised their range a few years ago it was replaced with a 909 which is the usual one used for TRs.

The push on fittings may well be correct - Goodyear cerainly manufactured high pressure pipes that used push on fittings that sound like the "Christmas tree" you refered to and could be assembled simply by pushing on the pipes without the need for jubilee clips yet could cope with 200+ psi.

If you are not sure if the pipes are up to it simply pop down to a good hydraulic supplier with the pipe, pump & unions and they will make some up quite cheaply either reusing your own if they are up to it or new as appropriate.

The inlet to the pump is suaually a push fit, low pressure hose the outlet usually a threaded connection or banjo type

Andy,

thanks, guessed as much. Any views on which end is which I am assuming the one with the one ring is inlet and the one with 3 rings is the 'pressureised outlet'

Andy,

thanks, guessed as much. Any views on which end is which I am assuming the one with the one ring is inlet and the one with 3 rings is the 'pressureised outlet'

Hi Robin,

Bosch injection pumps on some old Audis had one ring on the inlet and 3 on the outlet - usual securing clip was the twin-wire rather than the flat blade jubilee type. The twin wire presumably gripping better. The pumps were normally externally mounted, not in the boot. As a generalisation I prefer external mounting, and I wouldn't use anything other than proper threaded unions in the boot - and solid metal pipe or braided hose only, whatever the location.

Cheers,

Alec

Alec,

thanks, tried it last night and youre correct 3 ring is outlet. I had planned to mount in boot where the normal conversion pump sits , ie next to spare wheel then from there to filter and from there PRV etc (PRV in normal place in boot) . Fitting externally will give me some problems any thoughts on that. Have already got copper pipe for fitting from pump and flexible rubber from tank as this iosnt pressureised

Hi Robin,

You'll have to seek advice from those who use Bosch pumps on the 6 as regards fitment options. My experience has been with Bosch pumps in K and L Jetronic applications. The Bosch units benefit from a decent head of fuel, so in general terms the lower the mounting point relative to the tank the better.

One point with the Bosch pumps is that they were often used in conjunction with an accumulator or 'pressure pot' immediately downstream of the pump. This effectively smoothed out pump fluctuations, and helped avoid problems resulting from underbonnet fuel vapourisation on hot days and also from tank swirl under hard cornering with low fuel level.

I simply have a natural distrust of anything other than proper unions when dealing with fuel pressures in excess of 100psi in the boot. It's an avoidable risk in my book, having experienced in the past JUST how much fuel can be sprayed around the boot in a matter of seconds. But it's only my personal preference !

Cheers,

Alec

Alec -thanks point well made. IU will be trying to use braided hoses and appropriate clam on unions. Thankfully its only the pump TO filter taht will be push on. Thanks for the input

Hi Robin,

You'll have to seek advice from those who use Bosch pumps on the 6 as regards fitment options. My experience has been with Bosch pumps in K and L Jetronic applications. The Bosch units benefit from a decent head of fuel, so in general terms the lower the mounting point relative to the tank the better.

One point with the Bosch pumps is that they were often used in conjunction with an accumulator or 'pressure pot' immediately downstream of the pump. This effectively smoothed out pump fluctuations, and helped avoid problems resulting from underbonnet fuel vapourisation on hot days and also from tank swirl under hard cornering with low fuel level.

I simply have a natural distrust of anything other than proper unions when dealing with fuel pressures in excess of 100psi in the boot. It's an avoidable risk in my book, having experienced in the past JUST how much fuel can be sprayed around the boot in a matter of seconds. But it's only my personal preference !

Cheers,

Alec

Alec -thanks point well made. IU will be trying to use braided hoses and appropriate clam on unions. Thankfully its only the pump TO filter taht will be push on. Thanks for the input