Restororation update

Restoration has shifted to a lower gear, I'm afraid. After spending a large part of the summer buying and restoring parts, I've taken up work again. So, it's back to weekends and evenings again.

There's also the matter of parts. It took me a few weeks to get the missing left floor. The right floor and the boot were no problem, a left one was. But, now that's also solved. That brings me to my first question: a lot of TRs have a grill that's bend backwards. But I do believe that it should be straight and vertical. (eg. pics of Don's car). The hole in the front apron where the grill of my car should fit, is a bid narrow. Or, do I have an aftermarket grill? What's a good solution, ask the man in the bodyshop to alter the shape of the front aprong (wider) or are there good grills for sale?

The engine is still in the shop. That gives me time to ask your advise on taking off weight of the flywheel. What's your experience? Do or don't. And if it's a 'do', how much should be taken of. Remember, I will only use the car for normal road use.

Last Friday I received the first part of the wiring harnass. I've ordered a Dan Master's Powerblock. I'm overwhelmed! Nice!! I must confess that I was a bid confused at first. But after an evening of colour-coding the scheme, all looks bright again.

During this time I've also been busy making my own hood. I first let al local guy have a look at it, but on second thought, I've choosen the DIY-route,and I'm proud of it. Well, okay, I'm not satisfied with the s/screens, but I have plenty of material left. So, I'll have a go again.

Finally, I've recovered (reupholstered?) the dash! Oh, I'm so proud of the result.

I've added some pics. Tomorrow, I will add some of the chassis, the g'box and the carbs.

Regards,

Menno

Hi Menno,

You are making great progress.

Regarding the curved grille seen on some cars, this is due to incorrect reshaping of the mouth after an accident. Panel shops typically beat out the nose panel to what they think, then try and fit the grille. With body rebuilds, I always give my panel beater a new grille and get him to reshape the mouth, if necessary, to suit. It is not an easy job to get the "ducksbill" shape on the front of the nose correct, and I have seen cars with this feature completely missing and the nose just repaired with a constant curve down to the top of the grille.

On lightening the flywheel, for road use TriumphTune used to recommend only about 4 - 9 lbs (convert ot Kilos) could safely be removed before you started to get stalling from a standing start, unless you piled on the revs. Beware though as there have been instances of lightened flywheels exploding, but you never know if this was due to misuse.

The dash retrim looks excellent. I do all my own dashboard, door panel and capping retrims, so I know what effort goes into getting them right. I wouldn't tackle a new hood or side curtains though, so compliments on your workmanship.

As they say, with rebuilds, it's a long road before you get back on the road <_<

Cheers,

Viv