Carpet sets / are they any good?

I am planning to install new carpets to my car. Are those ready made carpet sets any good? Has anybody used John Skinner's carpet sets? I would like to hear comments. Should I install the underfelt kit also? Any other things to consider? Where can I find instructions for installing carpets and other interior?

Martti B)

I've fitted 2 TR4 kits, they are good quality and fit well.

Definetely underfelt should be fitted, this took more trimming-but always too much material, so cut to precise fit.

Rob.

Definetely underfelt should be fitted,...

Interested to know why, Rob, unless for originality? It can't help much with comfort or sound insulation in an open sports-car. My first TR3A came with underfelt fitted and very little metal left in the floorpans :(

I have retrimmed several TRs and always avoided fitting underfelt on the grounds that it is such a pain to dry out when the car gets wet (I rarely use a hood).

Underfelt ? That's for my Super Snipe, not a ruddy TR ;)

I'd dispense with the carpet altogether in a sports car, surplus weight, but as Diane isists on the stuff (OK, it's useful for drying wet shoes) we compromise on the lightest and cheapest stuff we can find. At least you can throw it away and replace after a few wettings . . .

Cheers,

Alec

Im with you Alec I dont fit underfelt either as it acts as a sponge most of the time and promotes rot and even worse when the hood is up ; condensation! I fit rubberised sound deadening sheets to stop panel drumming and use nylon carpets so they are rot proof and can be easily dried out.

Stuart.