Painting suspension parts

I have fully stripped the front suspension into pieces & started to clean them up ready for painting.

I had already purchased new rubber gaitors and rubber spring seats 8 years ago(!), but the cut down bump stops have perished and i have some damage to the drivers side spring pan - the damper rod hole is crushed on one side?? - oh, and im going to replace the shocks for KYB items.

The spax dampers finally came out today after a week of soaking in WD40, a long lever and plenty of effort, but the threads are perfect - no rust or corrosion on them!

I'm stripping the parts using wire brush/zip wheels in an angle grinder, but question is, what is the best paint for painting the struts, roll bar, springs etc??

I've used black hammerite on internal panels in the past, would this be ok with primer or something like "chassis black" from Frost. I've an old tub of Jenloite liquid, was thinking of applying this too.

Any advice would be of help,

Thanks

I have fully stripped the front suspension into pieces & started to clean them up ready for painting.

I had already purchased new rubber gaitors and rubber spring seats 8 years ago(!), but the cut down bump stops have perished and i have some damage to the drivers side spring pan - the damper rod hole is crushed on one side?? - oh, and im going to replace the shocks for KYB items.

The spax dampers finally came out today after a week of soaking in WD40, a long lever and plenty of effort, but the threads are perfect - no rust or corrosion on them!

I'm stripping the parts using wire brush/zip wheels in an angle grinder, but question is, what is the best paint for painting the struts, roll bar, springs etc??

I've used black hammerite on internal panels in the past, would this be ok with primer or something like "chassis black" from Frost. I've an old tub of Jenloite liquid, was thinking of applying this too.

Any advice would be of help,

Thanks

If you can get your suspension parts blasted then that is the best way to start, failing that clean them all up with rotary wire brush and then soak in Jenolite or similar and then give them a coat of Zinc primer like Bonda prime and then paint with either 2 pack black or Chassis black. Hammerite does tend to chip too easily for this type of application.

Stuart.

If you can get your suspension parts blasted then that is the best way to start, failing that clean them all up with rotary wire brush and then soak in Jenolite or similar and then give them a coat of Zinc primer like Bonda prime and then paint with either 2 pack black or Chassis black. Hammerite does tend to chip too easily for this type of application.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart,

I've stripped the parts with a rotary wire brush & they came up really well, ive applied Jenolite and 2 coats of a high zinc primer - Davids Zinc 182 as I had 3/4 tin lying around, don't know if its any good though? - I'll get some Chassis black now & post some pics when done,

Chris