Refitting final drive unit

Guest Wyn

I've recently had my final drive unit back after a complete rebuild and managed to persuade a friend to give me a hand today to lift it back on to the mounting pins. I'm completely baffled as I couldn't get it to fit. I got the rear nuts on with no problem and also the nearside front which left one front which seemed off line. On closer inspection, the unit seems out of square running towards the nearside rather than down the centre of the car, I probably wouldn't even get the propshaft on, it's that extreme. I've done nothing to the car and wondered whether there was any adjustment can be made to the rear mountings. It's difficult for me to check this as the unit is on the car supported by the three mountings and a jack.

Any advice would be appreciated and if someone can put my mind to rest, that would be appreciated even more!

Wyn

Thanks Stuart, I will do that. What confuses me though is that the rear are fitted dead centre of the pin and therefore I assume the problem stems from the rear.

Wyn

Wyn in that case have a good look at the rear bridge as its not unusual for them to break away where the bridge joins the chassis and where the pins go up into the bridge , I realise this may be a pain as you have it virtually in but a miss is as good as a mile and it would at least discount that area as being the root of the problem.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the advice, I've now taken it off, played around with the rear mounting bushes and refitted it, still off centre but I'm reliably told that this is how it should be. It will stay where it is till I get my engine back and then I will find out whether all is OK.

Regards

Wyn