K&N Filters

Steve

The tubes are simply bits of exhaust tubing which are co-incidentally exactly the same internal and external diameter as the rings which sit inside the manifold bodies (which the standard curved rubber connectors are pushed over). Rather than remove the rings and insert the 'ram pipes'(!) directly into the bodies, I had some stainless steel tube which was a tight fit over the two - so I used them as external 'rings' across the joints.

I wanted the pipes as long as possible and clearance to the wheel arch determined this.

It started off as a bit of an experiment and I was pleased enough with it to buy 3x K&N's to take the investment from $6 dollars to well over $200!!!!

I would have run them without filters if I was sure the sand traps at the local track were never going to be in play, but I am not that confident!

The tubes are not flared at the ends so they are not of optimum design. Correctly shaped ram pipes have a trumpet-like flare at the end and if you were serious about it you would get a set. It would probably make a small difference using them over the straight tubes, but I could not justify the cost. In addition, you cannot fit the standard K&N's over the trumpets and I am not aware of any K&N that can do the job without modification. I considered cutting the tops out of my filters but it all got a bit too hard. FWIW, several dynos over a few years have shown 125rwhp with the stock inlet manifold plenum and I feel as though it's a bit better with the ram tubes - I am happy with that :rolleyes:

The oiled 'socks' over the ram tubes is the way I would go if you wanted to use the trumpets shaped tubes.

The rocker breather is now connected to an oil catch tank which sits in place of the washer water bottle. Oil returns to the sump via a drain brazed into the mechanical pump blanking plate behind the metering unit.

The linkage is from Revingtons. I got it 13 years ago and I don't know if the design has changed. I am generally pleased with it but dissapointed initially as the main support brackets were too flimsy and flexed too much. This resulted in less feel in the accelerator pedal and affected synchonisation of the butterflies but inly very slightly. I made better brackets and am happy with the results. Adjustment is a piece of cake. I did not connect the choke to the linkage, only to the metering unit, although there is provision on the linkage for it.

Hope this helps

Roger

Awesome Roger, thanks for all the info.

Thanks everyone else for your advice.

I am off to Moss London on Friday to buy a set.

Best,

Steve

Thanks Spiro, what is the model / reference number for the K & N filter and wher did you get yours from.

Thanks

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy

I get all my stuff from Moss in Bristol, the small filter is used on engine breathers for other models

Cheers

Spiro

I just bought the filters and I cant get them on with the original linkage!

I'll have to wait to fit them until I either get the new linkage or extend the filters away from the manifolds.

Steve

Hi Dan

Did you remove the old tube sp the stainless tubes fit into the manifolds?

Steve

Yep, just sealed in with some decent stuff my mate gave me and the K+Ns fit onto them with jubilee clips.

The main reason for them was that the K+Ns interfered with the Revington throttle linkage, which by the way wasn't of very good quality, it bends very easily and the shaft moves front to back about 2-3mm which makes the nylon bushes fall out :( , so i have had to re-make that as well.