SU CARBS & DISTRIBUTOR

Just got my 1980 TR7 convertible MOT'd and back on the road after 3 years gathering dust, hooray!

During the MOT test the bloke measured the emissions and the CO was way down at only 0.7% so it looks like the carbs want adjustment. Question is - how?

I also discovered the baseplate in the distributor is seized. I have a good spare distibutor but that also looks a bit difficult to remove/refit because the bolts are hard to reach.

They both look like a bit of a swine to me, does anyone have any tips please?

Cheers Russ

Hi Russ

My previous everyday car for 11yrs was a dolly sprint!

The su set up is pretty critical on these,as they must run emissions off the scale at tickover,but spot on at 3000rpm.If you get it running really smooth on tickover and emissions at 3.5,they normally wont rev and run right!! its a fiddly balance to get right,but I was well used to it on my sprint,and I ran a hot cam and jag carbs on it at one point!! It went like the clappers but had a drink problem,so I went back to normal carb size!! but kept the hot cam :P

Are you, as your name suggests in south glos?? if so, I would be happy to come over to play,or you can pop over to me on a sat, or any eve aft 6pm!! :):) i'm in Yate!!

PM or E me

Dave

Edited by PILKIE
I can't help I'm afraid but I'd be interested to know if you are from Dursley in Glos as I'm from there originally.

Yes, Dursley in Gloucestershire is where we live. Originally from Stroud, all of 10 miles away. Bought the house in Dursley because it had a big garage so I could work on cars. Used to be rally cars but now its the TR7.

Cheers Russ.

Hi Russ

My previous everyday car for 11yrs was a dolly sprint!

The su set up is pretty critical on these,as they must run emissions off the scale at tickover,but spot on at 3000rpm.If you get it running really smooth on tickover and emissions at 3.5,they normally wont rev and run right!! its a fiddly balance to get right,but I was well used to it on my sprint,and I ran a hot cam and jag carbs on it at one point!! It went like the clappers but had a drink problem,so I went back to normal carb size!! but kept the hot cam :P

Are you, as your name suggests in south glos?? if so, I would be happy to come over to play,or you can pop over to me on a sat, or any eve aft 6pm!! :):) i'm in Yate!!

PM or E me

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the offer - I may need to take you up on it.

Project at the moment is to make a spanner to get at those distributor clamp bolts.

Watch this space!.

Cheers Russ

Ive got one in my toolbox!!

From memory,its 11mm/7/16",and you can only do a flat turn at a time once youve bent it to shape,ive cut an old spanner down to 2" long! ++ make sure eng is cold when you do it!! otherwise you will get the OUCH!!!!SH*T!! Factor :lol:

Just email if you want to put the kettle on and get the bikkie tin out :P

Edited by PILKIE
Yes, Dursley in Gloucestershire is where we live. Originally from Stroud, all of 10 miles away. Bought the house in Dursley because it had a big garage so I could work on cars. Used to be rally cars but now its the TR7.

Cheers Russ.

Excellent, I shall have to look out for your 7 next time I'm back there!