Glowing Ignition Light

The ignition light is glowing faintly during notmal driving but brighter when idling. The voltmeter shows mid guage. The battery appears strong and not being run down.

My elementray elctrical knowledge points to an alternator problem but before i exchnage this, i wonder if anyone has an alternative explanation.

The ignition light is glowing faintly during notmal driving but brighter when idling. The voltmeter shows mid guage. The battery appears strong and not being run down.

My elementray elctrical knowledge points to an alternator problem but before i exchnage this, i wonder if anyone has an alternative explanation.

Hi,

It most likely the Carbon Brushes need changing, when worn the carbon keeps making and braking so lights glows .

Jim

The charging light shows the difference between the battery voltage and alternator output voltage, brighter light = bigger difference i.e. not charging the battery. This is probably the alternator not working (brushes worn, rectifier gone etc.) but could be the fan / alternator belt is slack or worn, have you checked that?

Dave