Fuel guage

Guest colinTR2

Guest colinTR2

Got home saturday in the 2 but with a fuel guage showing zero with half a tank full. Checked the instrument as per the book, then measured 8 volts + across the terminals at the back of the guage. This voltage went up and down as I rocked the car. So it seems the problem is with the guage.

Has anybody used a repairer of these instruments?

thanks

Colin

Hi Colin,

In my experience it is more common for the old type of fuel guage (as in the TR2) to read Full all the time that the ignition is on when they do become faulty.They work on the principle of two electro magnetic coils, one on each side of the needle, working against each other.On one side there is a 12volt coil trying to pull the needle to reed full and on the other side there is a coil trying to pull the the needle to read empty, this coil is connected to the tank sender unit and is of variable voltage depending on the fuel level.It is usually this coil that fails.

In view of this it is worth checking the connections on the guage and the earthing of the guage to the instrument panel.After that I personally would also have a look inside the gauge to see if there is anything obvious.

Regards, Colin.

Guest colinTR2
Try Autotek 01604 861930 or Speedy Cables 01639 732213

Stuart.

Thanks all for the advice, have sent the gauge off to Jim at Autotek and hope for the best. He made all the right noises when I spoke to him.

Cheers Colin