Smiths Gauges

I'd like to convert my TR6 from having an ammeter to a voltmeter in the dash. Trouble is, the only Smiths voltmeters I have seen have the wrong bezel for my car. I need one with a black 'full vee', and all I have seen on eBay or new have something else - chromed, 'half vee', etc.

If I get a gauge with the wrong bezel, is it feasible to swap the bezel with the one from my ammeter? Anyone done it? Does anyone sell new bezels? Incidentally, I have contacted Caerbont Automotive Instruments, who put me onto Speedy Cables, but so far no reply from them on whether a new item with the correct spec is available.

Thanks,

John

John

They weren't available as a separate item when I enquired at instrument makers some years ago - it may be different now - but it is easy enough to do. The folding tabs on the back of the bezel are liable to break of so only 'open' them the minimum you need.

I have a bronze masking ring that was made for the smaller gauges that I can lend you for the job. The black is only painted on to the chrome and is easy enough to do with the mask. We are undergoing house reno's at the moment but I think I can find it. I may also have a spare bezel. I'll PM you shortly.

Cheers

Roger

EDIT - Sorry John - just realised that you need the full black bezel. The one I was referring to with the mask is the black and chrome type.

Edited by Roger H

The beezle can be removed by turning the beezle. There are 3 little gaps where the folding tabs fit through. You can put the black V beezle form the ammeter on your new voltmeter.

I've replaced my black V's by all chrome half V's in my '72: looks great and easy job.

Cheers.

Eric

Thanks for the help. I'll not worry about the bezel type if I can get my hands on a voltmeter then.

Roger - not sure what black & chrome looks like. Do you mean the bezel itself is part chrome, part black? Or that the face is black and the bezel chrome?

Cheers,

John

John C, the later TR6s were fitted with a bezel that was part chrome, part satin black paint, as Roger says the black is painted on the chrome, which doesn't make for a very robust finish.

Ron

Thanks. I've now spoken to Speedy Cables, and they can supply not only a voltmeter with the correct bezel, but new bezels & O rings for the other gauges as well. Lovely. Mind you, the postage is almost as much as the gauge!

Cheers,

john

if you want to keep the original look of the amps gauge

put the face from your amps gauge onto your volt meter.

the part of the gauge with the writing on= amps volts temp oil [if electric]

are seperate from the working rear part of the gauge ie the needle.

i have a smiths amps meter with a lucas face

my fuel gauge was badly faded so i swaped the face from a non working gauge.

richard

Sneaky! So I'd have a voltmeter that looked like an ammeter. The voltmeter from SC will be exactly the same in style as the ammeter it's replacing (except that it will say 'Smiths', not 'Lucas' as on the old ammeter), so I'll probably stay with that.

Here's another sneaky thought: I'd quite like an oil temperature gauge, but I'm not confident I could do as tidy a job as you in replacing the rheostat with a gauge in the dash. You said in the oil stat thread that you'd used a water temp sender connected to your oil temp gauge. I wonder if I could install a water temp sender in the sump, and connect it to the water temp gauge via a switch which would select between oil & water senders? Thoughts?

Cheers,

John

Sneaky! So I'd have a voltmeter that looked like an ammeter. The voltmeter from SC will be exactly the same in style as the ammeter it's replacing (except that it will say 'Smiths', not 'Lucas' as on the old ammeter), so I'll probably stay with that.

Here's another sneaky thought: I'd quite like an oil temperature gauge, but I'm not confident I could do as tidy a job as you in replacing the rheostat with a gauge in the dash. You said in the oil stat thread that you'd used a water temp sender connected to your oil temp gauge. I wonder if I could install a water temp sender in the sump, and connect it to the water temp gauge via a switch which would select between oil & water senders? Thoughts?

Cheers,

John

thats a very good idea? i might do that and fit a clock in my dash.

[with a rotary switch you could have sensors all round the car= gbox diff just kidding mmm]

you might need to fit a resistor or a pot in the wire to the oil sender if it reads high on the gauge.

see my other reply re testing setting the gauge

If you want to install a clock you can also put a kiezle (60mm) clock in the dash, where the eyeball vent is placed. I did so and I like it. :rolleyes:

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Just a thought !

Cheers,

Eric

yes that looks very good.

but what would i do? that 1 day every year when the temp reaches 30c. i wouldnt be able to open the vent and let that big rush of cold air cool me down.

richard

If you want to install a clock you can also put a kiezle (60mm) clock in the dash, where the eyeball vent is placed. I did so and I like it. :rolleyes:

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Just a thought !

Cheers,

Eric

Sorry, but what is a "kiezel" clock and where might I buy one? Incidently, this looks very smart!

...with a rotary switch you could have sensors all round the car= gbox diff just kidding mmm...

I would like to find an electric pressure sensor and gauge combo that would give me 0-140psi in the Smiths style - then I could have a fuel pressure gauge in the dash. I guess if it were 0-450psi I could use it as a switchable fuel/overdrive pressure gauge. It's all easy if you don't mind doing stuff that's not in character (and have bottomless pockets)!

Cheers,

John

try ebay lots on. they were clocks fitted to stags 2000 and sprints. spelt kienzle i think.

richard

Yes , it is KIENZLE. Sorry for my mis spelling ;)

See:

http://cgi.ebay.nl/triumph-Dolomite-Kienzl...1QQcmdZViewItem

or item number 260143684891 on eBay. This is a very nice one. The painted black on the chrome rim can be removed easily, as mentioned earlier in this topic.

Cheers,

Eric

Edited by EricTR6