wooden speed boat with TR3 marine engine

post-5024-1185294327_thumb.jpgHi Everyone, I thought somebody would like to know that I own a 1950's Aquacraft 'Avenger' wooden speed boat called 'Jamollie', and it was fitted from new with a 'Sea Lion' marine engine, which was a TR3 engine. Here is a picture of her...

post-5024-1185294327_thumb.jpg

So that's where some of the "missing" engines went that caused engine numbers to progressively get out of sync with chassis numbers.

Do you have any pix of the engine to show us how it was marinised.

Moss might offer a conversion kit for Malvern bound cars next year.

Cheers,

Viv.

So that's where some of the "missing" engines went that caused engine numbers to progressively get out of sync with chassis numbers.

Do you have any pix of the engine to show us how it was marinised.

Moss might offer a conversion kit for Malvern bound cars next year.

Cheers,

Viv.

Hi Stuart and Viv, I'm new here but assume that Malvern was somewhere I could have demonstrated my boat, my kids want to know when the summer is going to start here. I'll try and take some pics of the engine and attempt to find a number (no idea where to look), and get back to you in the near future

All the best

Steve

Hi Stuart and Viv, I'm new here but assume that Malvern was somewhere I could have demonstrated my boat, my kids want to know when the summer is going to start here. I'll try and take some pics of the engine and attempt to find a number (no idea where to look), and get back to you in the near future

All the best

Steve

Steve engine number is on the left hand side of the block just behind the coil if it is mounted on the block as per the car installation.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
Steve engine number is on the left hand side of the block just behind the coil if it is mounted on the block as per the car installation.

Stuart.

Stuart, I've got a number on the block which if my eyesight is OK is 302157, I've taken some photos but have to go to work this afternoon, so will provide more later

Steve

Hi Steve, The engine number should start with a TS, and as Stuart said, it is stamped on the left side of the block. Look for it back from the distributor, as the coil on a marine engine might not be mounted next to the distributor as it was on the sidescreen cars.

The Malvern reference was to the TR Register's International Rally of last weekend that was severely affected by floods. If you look through the posts on the Main Forum and attached photos, you'll see why a boat would have been handy.

The fins are interesting - reminds of those on a Mk3 Zephyr or Sunbeam Alpine

Don't know where you live in the UK, but the boat would be fabulous up in the lakes district around Windemere.

But if the weather doesn't improve, you could always join us TR enthusiasts in sunny down under.

Cheers,

Viv.

Thanks Viv, stuart and Alec for your interest, I'm busily removing panels to get a good look at the whole engine and gearbox, which will hopefully reveal more info. I've managed to find the engine number, lots of paint over it, but I can quite clearly see TS824 -- over to the experts!!!

Steve

PS I'm in Bournemouth just for interest

Steve that would make it approximately a Jan/Feb 1954 build for the engine. So I would assume the boat was built around a similar time.

Stuart.

Steve that would make it approximately a Jan/Feb 1954 build for the engine. So I would assume the boat was built around a similar time.

Stuart.

I've had another closer look and I think the number is another couple of digits, is that possible? I think it is TS82432

Steve

I've had another closer look and I think the number is another couple of digits, is that possible? I think it is TS82432

Steve

If that number is correct then that engine would have been at the very end of TR3a production in 61.

Stuart.

Link to website showing 1958 Aquacraft Avenger with TR3A engine . . .

http://e-w-b-c.eu/newewbc/multi/afree/fleet.php

Cheers,

Alec

Hi All, I'm very impressed with all the interest, thanks. Alec, that is indeed my boat, well fouind, I don't know of another in existance, but would love to find one. For years my other Aquacraft with outboard was on it's own, then through a forum on old speedboats I found another, then one more, so you never know. I've had the magnifying glass out and as far as the engine number goes TS is definite, then its probably an 8 because the lower half almost joins up, so a 3 is unlikely, then it's definitely 24 then there is a gap which could be a 3, then finally it definitely looks like a 2. If I go the marine way, it has a label on the engine, Ajax marine Ltd, and a marine unit number 2519 which should mean something date wise to somebody, maybe I'll try my old speed boat forum for that as well. I've taken some photos which I'll put on soon.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

OK, so not the world's best digipics, about my standard ! It looks like a TR engine, and I'd go for a marinised TR3A rather than TR2 basis.

The dashboard (is that the right term on a boat ?) looks pretty much TR too.

But the Ajax Marine plate isn't legible on my screen. Is that Ajax as in Grimsby UK, or as in Ohio USA ?

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Alec, In the literature I have, it shows the boat in 1958 with 65hp OHV Consul engine, then in 1960 with Watermota 'Sea Lion' TR3 engine producing more hp, so I can assume they wouldn't have used the TR3 before the Consul?. That would age the boat and engine somewhere around 1960. The Ajax marine plate shows nothing more than I've stated, but there is a part of the engine below the stainless manifold that has the Ajax logo in a stylised form raised lettering on the cast plate, it's awkward to photograph, but I'll try, this might give a clue.

Thanks

Steve

...and is that the Standard Triumph shield on the Moto-Lita steering wheel?

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter,

Yes it is, I can only presume original, it would make sense I suppose

Cheers

Steve

Hi again Steve,

Looking at the engine pics, I would think that maybe the first engine number after TS is a 3 rather than an 8.

Reasoning is that the site Alec found says the boat is of 1958, and Standard-Triumph engine numbers for TR3A cars started with a 3 for much of that year. Also the carbies show a banjo fuel pipe connection to the fuel bowl, which is correct for 1958. This assumes originality, but engines expired, and a later block could have been installed.

Car engines had a chromed rocker cover, whereas yours looks to be a paint finish. Perhaps this was how marine versions were produced, as chrome, being porous, didn't like salt water spray. Or it could have been refurbished with a paint finish. Car engines were fitted with generators, whereas yours is updated and improved with an alternator.

The boat certainly is a really fascinating piece of TR history, and a true survivor.

In Melbourne we have a 1953-55 MkV Dellow, of which only a handful were made in the UK, with this local car probably being the only one ever fitted with a TR2 engine. Yet another survivor.

Cheers,

Viv.

PS Have since seen your post on the Consul engine, so back to an 8 for late 1960 engines. But the banjo couplings are still a mystery.

Edited by vivdownunder
I seem to have run out of photo space, what can I do?

Go to your 'profile' on the left.

You have 500 Kb for pictures. The ones that you 've uploaded are somewhat close to that. Delete them and you have 500 Kb back.

On the other hand: use a program like Pixresizer. You resize photos on your computer before uploading them. (So you can upload more pictures before you reach the 500Kb-point).

Regards,

Menno

Go to your 'profile' on the left.

You have 500 Kb for pictures. The ones that you 've uploaded are somewhat close to that. Delete them and you have 500 Kb back.

On the other hand: use a program like Pixresizer. You resize photos on your computer before uploading them. (So you can upload more pictures before you reach the 500Kb-point).

Regards,

Menno

Thanks Menno, I'll delete some

Regards

Steve