Now i am a TR5 owner,after a number of 6s, with the desirable surrey option i wondered how difficult it will be to; a) remove the hard top and b)install frame and soft top , all the bits appear to be with the frame so i assume its relatively straight forward-dare say these are famous last words!,

thanks,

D1070

Now i am a TR5 owner,after a number of 6s, with the desirable surrey option i wondered how difficult it will be to; a) remove the hard top and b)install frame and soft top , all the bits appear to be with the frame so i assume its relatively straight forward-dare say these are famous last words!,

thanks,

D1070

You are correct it is relatively straightforward to fit the convertible top although you may find that a spot of remedial paintwork may be needed around where the rear section of the surrey has been sitting.

You will have to either fit clinch nuts across the rear deck to fit the rear bar of the hood or find some suitable bolts and bolt it right through with some sealer around the bolts.Then fit the three popper studs on each of the forward deck extensions, although if the car was previously fitted with a soft top you may find the holes for them are already there. You will also need the aluminium finishers for front of the deck extensions at the top of the "B" posts and you will have to cut the draught excluder down to fit.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, your advice is appreciated, and i will endeavour to complete the task this weekend-weather permitting!

Its funny i noticed that you are down at Grampound,-i used to live in Mabe near Penryn, back in 1985,i had a white TR6, NYT 244L but was not at the time in the TR register so did not get to know fellow Cornish TRowners. Always good to go back ,and luckily its not too far to the border from sunny Torquay!.

Thanks once again and all the best,

Laurence(D1070)

Having given it a bit of serious,rational thought it seems pretty daft to remove the whole surrey top arrangement,therefore ,hopefully sensibly ,i have decided to just remove the hard top section and replace with the appropriate metal frame and fabric centre. I assume there is an order to putting these in place and i would be grateful for any guidence,i do have various bits including two rubber gromets!-not really sure where these go!,

THANKS,

Laurence(D1070)

Having given it a bit of serious,rational thought it seems pretty daft to remove the whole surrey top arrangement,therefore ,hopefully sensibly ,i have decided to just remove the hard top section and replace with the appropriate metal frame and fabric centre. I assume there is an order to putting these in place and i would be grateful for any guidence,i do have various bits including two rubber gromets!-not really sure where these go!,

THANKS,

Laurence(D1070)

Laurence if you have a workshop manual it should describe in there how to fit the soft centre section if not give me a ring at the workshop 01726 882680 and I will try and talk you through it.

Stuart.

Having given it a bit of serious,rational thought it seems pretty daft to remove the whole surrey top arrangement,therefore ,hopefully sensibly ,i have decided to just remove the hard top section and replace with the appropriate metal frame and fabric centre.

Whew, that's a relief :rolleyes: !

I would have suggested a trip on the highway at minimum speed ( that's about 80 mph here in the 'states ) with hood down ( in another example ) just to be sure you enjoy the effect of all that wind blasting you into a stupor. The surrey backlight with side windows up will eliminate 70-80% of it, and having had it both ways I'll never go back <_<