Overheating on the horizon?

Any thoughts on this potential problem would be much appreciated. :rolleyes:

NVC (recently rebuilt 2.0 litre FHC) has been running fine. Oil and water levels are good - and steady, and I have been enjoying driving to work and back (approx 3 miles each way). Last weekend I drove up to the Wirral - about 50 miles - and noticed on the way there and back that the temp gauge, rather than being steady at 'just to the right of the first quarter' mark had crept up to almost half way between quarter and halfway. I checked for oil in water and vice versa, but nothing transpired. Today, coming home from work I notice that the needle is closer still to the halfway mark. Still no evidence of fluid movement between oil and waterways. The temperature settles at the level described and doesn't continue to rise, so what's going on? There is no evidence of leakage - coolant level is fine. Help would be much appreciated - I don't want to find out the hard way!!

Many thanks in advance.

Kevin

Any thoughts on this potential problem would be much appreciated. :rolleyes:

NVC (recently rebuilt 2.0 litre FHC) has been running fine. Oil and water levels are good - and steady, and I have been enjoying driving to work and back (approx 3 miles each way). Last weekend I drove up to the Wirral - about 50 miles - and noticed on the way there and back that the temp gauge, rather than being steady at 'just to the right of the first quarter' mark had crept up to almost half way between quarter and halfway. I checked for oil in water and vice versa, but nothing transpired. Today, coming home from work I notice that the needle is closer still to the halfway mark. Still no evidence of fluid movement between oil and waterways. The temperature settles at the level described and doesn't continue to rise, so what's going on? There is no evidence of leakage - coolant level is fine. Help would be much appreciated - I don't want to find out the hard way!!

Many thanks in advance.

Kevin

Could be a failing thermostat, getting tired and not opening so well and restricting the circulation.

Chris

Check the timing\points, I had a similar problem that was partly attributed to the cooling system (radweld) at first instead of checking the basics of the ignition. Actually found the timing was 25 degree's out IIRC & that the pre-ignition of the fuel gave it a smooth ride, but was stressing the cooling system as I went up the M5 or indeed any other road after about 18 miles.

I would suggest that on your normal run the oil isnt even warming up and neither are you getting the heat soaking through the various components, half way is fine in my 25+year experience of 7's and 8's.

I wouldnt ever worry about a steady guage, driven hard on the racetrack a standard 7 will climb to 3/4's.

This may or may not be related to my initial concern (thanks for the calming words, everyody!). Noticed a little coolant weeping from the crankshaft breather core plug (Rimmer part no. 138380) tonight - that's the one pointing forwards by the thermostat housing next to the temperature transmitter. Unfortunately Rimmers don't stock it! Has anyone any experience of replacing this part or knows if an alternative part no. is available?

Thanks again everybody! :)

Kevin